internet on the go (again!)

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Re: internet on the go (again!)

Post by the1andonly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 pm

will look for that next year.
cant imagine not going again after this year.
even if only for a week
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

I've learnt such a lot. :) So much choice I can't make my mind up now :roll: :lol:
ELZE wrote:Quad band phoes have the capability to connect to most other networks as they usually have an agreement with each other! T mobile, 3, o2 etc, Dongles as I understand it don't!

If you purchase a dongle it can only access the purchased contract provider
I think I have got it and can help to clarify!! Quad band is potentially useful for the international traveller.
It is key to distinguish between a) the technical capability of the device and b) the service provided by the contract associated with the SIM card. They are independent of each other but both must work to successfully connect to a network.

Generally within Europe/Asia, and certainly UK, providers use GSM 900 and/or 1800 frequencies so Dual Band is adequate. Quad Band is needed when venturing into a couple of dozen other countries/territories (e.g. N America) which use the 850/1900 frequencies. Dongles and MiFi could lack this technical capability and therefore fall short in this travel scenario but they are a lot cheaper than a phone so it is viable to purchase a separate North America Dual Band model!
Though there are some expensive Phone contracts/SIMs that give multi-network connectivity in the home country, most phone contracts/SIMs limit at-home connectivity to the provider's own network. Therefore it is unfair to put dongles down on this account because the majority of our phone contracts will be limited to the provider's own network. There are still the "homeless" roaming data-only SIM/contracts mentioned elsewhere in this thread that could be used in the UK.
When abroad it comes down to the roaming agreements between the UK provider and foreign networks and this has nothing to do with the technical capability of the device, which is only important if straying outside the 900/1800 frequency countries. I have not investigated in depth the roaming options for phone+data vs data only contracts, but yes, PAYG data only contracts (typically discussed here for bongoing) are particularly expensive abroad.
When I was abroad regularly for work, instead of tethering, I simply had local PAYG SIMS which I used in an unlocked 3 Dongle. Cost was just pounds per month whereas tethering sent my phone bill so high it stopped at the director's desk [-X
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Anyone used or know anyone who use MobiData you even get 100mb free overseas data.... and low price for roaming... I guess it's down to your usage....but for emails and research it would be fine if you haven't got wifi. I use offline maps in and out of the UK anyway
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 am

For those of you who are still looking at this thread I found this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... urope.html which will be of interest to you.
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Just a reminder that Three mobile have extended their "feel at home" promotion to include France now.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/ ... fahrbn1501

So if you buy a PAYG data sim here you can used the data allowance over there. Just need to make sure your Mi-Fi/Dongle has roaming enabled.

Return to “Going Abroad”