Off to Scotland

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Off to Scotland

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Always park up / camp where there is a breeze not in a sheltered place under the trees. Depending on the season May and June are midge ok on the West Coast....
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks Tootsmcfruits for your great suggestions and the additional photos from Muz.
All helping me to plan my trip.

Re the dreaded Midges, I have made lots of enquiries and the outcome seems to be that they are unavoidable, so I will be resorting to the strongest
repellent I can find.

Keep suggestions coming,

Thank all.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm

A can of insect spray might be worth having for inside Bongy if needed. :wink:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Smidge. Nothing works better. https://www.smidgeup.com/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 pm

2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Ian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm Smidge. Nothing works better. https://www.smidgeup.com/
2nd that - its great stuff. I bought it after researching options on the internet.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 pm Always park up / camp where there is a breeze not in a sheltered place under the trees. Depending on the season May and June are midge ok on the West Coast....
Good advice. Breezes and coolness reduce their presence, and sea breezes on the coast may work on hot days when its calm inland.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 am

The wee-beasties are the enemy of every living thing. A lot of people don’t like DEET but this stuff takes some beating:

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/ ... gI3R_D_BwE

Muz Jr resorted to a more traditional anti-midge device…

tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am

marionw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm Re the dreaded Midges, I have made lots of enquiries and the outcome seems to be that they are unavoidable, so I will be resorting to the strongest repellent I can find.
Camping by a shoreline can often keep them at bay if there's a breeze, Smidge is the best repellent I've found but by a riverside even that doesn't help. And yes, locals use the netted hoods in extreme situations so that's never a bad buy! I'd hope as you're going a bit earlier in the season that they won't be in full force by then!

Sometimes even the strongest repellents don't keep the wee b*st*rds at bay though so the best one I've found is to find a decent pub and stay there for the evening! :lol:
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 am

Muzorewa wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 am The wee-beasties are the enemy of every living thing. A lot of people don’t like DEET but this stuff takes some beating:

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/ ... gI3R_D_BwE

Muz Jr resorted to a more traditional anti-midge device…

Brilliant strategy. It got him arrested and jailed as an undesirable. The jail was air conditioned and midge free, and it had pictures on the wall of landscapes he'd come to visit. So, it worked out really well really :shock: :? :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Depending on how long your tour you could take in the Scottish Bash in July. :wink:
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks again for all your replies.
Yes Bob, I am hoping to include the Scottish Bash in my travels.
kandabongogirl
Bongonaut

Post by kandabongogirl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 pm

And some tips on Staying clean (from a new member - joined in April)!:

Just got back from a stint in May touring Sunart, Ardnamurchan, Moidart, Arisaig, Mallaig (for Rum and Eigg), and the Isle of Skye, and happy to share tips on keeping body, hair, and clothes clean whilst touring. :D :D

Aside from ‘regular campsite’ services (didn’t use these much this trip - only 3 nights in 3 weeks) the following proved to be useful facilities to have close by for over-nighting in the bongo. Prices correct as of May 2019. Of course driving between, in and around these places, are some great ‘secret’ and not so secret overnight spots. And some fantastic beaches. And some fab mountains. Oh..and the sunsets facing west. Seek and you will find.

Arisaig: Toilet Block between Spar and Arisaig Hotel, Not 24 hours - locked during night time.
Glenuig: Glenuig Community Hall; Toilets with hot water and hot showers (£2 for 5 minutes). Glenuig Inn; allow you to park overnight in their car park and use kayakers shower block if you dine in their pub restaurant.
Kilchoan: Community toilet block with toilets and hot showers (£2 for 5 minutes). 24 hours.
Mallaig: The Fishermans Hostel by the port roundabout: Hot showers available outside peak times of day for £2.50 per person (not timed). Excellent. Laundry service available from warden at £10 wash and dry for large load. Excellent service (left and collected after 4 hours).
Kyle (mainland side of Skye Bridge): Kyle Community Services; 20p to enter block. Warm showers available at £1 for 5 minutes (but temperamental the day we used them). Self-service laundry available at £5 per load.
And on the Isle of Skye:
Armadale: Isle of Skye Yachts, 1 mile from ferry at Ardvasar Boatyard; has 24hr hot showers (£2 for 5 minutes) in summertime. Excellent.
Dunvegan Services: Car park with 24hr Toilet block; hot and cold water taps.
Staffin Community Hall and Shop, Staffin Bay: Good Toilets but no showers. Laundrette attached to shop; £5/wash, 50p/6 minute dry
UIG Ferry Port: Toilet block next to car park, with hot and cold water. Shop on A87 near UIG Community Hall – well stocked; food, bakery, hardware.
Elgol: Village Hall and shop and car parking and toilet block (200-300m above harbour). 24hr Toilet block with cold water only.
Portree: Independent Hostel IV51 9BT; showers including towel for £3 per person (no time limit)

Enjoy your trip.

PS. Traveled with solar showers - able to fill them with warm tap water where convenient.
23 year old salt and pepper AFT who loves a twerk to a kandabongoman tune.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Some great info there, thankyou. 8)

And welcome,to BF. :)
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi Kandabongogirl,

What a great list.Will prove extremely helpful.Thank you.

Everyones suggestions are being plotted on my map of Scotland. Bottles of Avon Skin so Soft purchased.

All getting very close now,excitement mounting,just hoping I don't get rained on too much.

Thanks again everyone, will be at Stourport, happy to receive more tips and suggestions.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”