Trip tips , Ireland to the Bash

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Merlot man
Bongolier

Trip tips , Ireland to the Bash

Post by Merlot man » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Hello all
My wife and I are planning a trip to the bash this year fron Ireland and are planning on staying in the area for a week .
We hope to go over on the Monday from Dublin to Holyhead go to the bash on Friday and Saturday and come back on the following Monday . Our query is : where to Stay / camp on the other nights and what to do /see when we are there in the whales / Midlands region ?
We'd rather not spend all our time traveling . Nice places to eat would be a priority of ours :D
All advice will be greatly appreciated
Brian
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Trip tips , Ireland to the Bash

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 am

Of all the places on the tours above, you should at least stop at that place on Anglesey with the ridiculously long name (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch), it’s on your way so no detour needed. Also from there, if it’s open, climb up to the top of the Marquess of Anglesey column from where you get great views of the Menai Strait and the two bridges.

The castles at Penrhyn (Bangor) and Chirk are well worth a look, as well as the four big ones at Conwy, Beaumaris, Caernarfon and Harlech.

For a bit of engineering history the narrow-gauge railway from Caernarfon to Porthmadog runs some old Garratt articulated locos, a very cunning design worth doing a spot of research on and they were built just down the road from us in Manchester.

Also Thomas Telford’s Pontcysyllte aqueduct just east of Llangollen is another bit of engineering culture worth seeking out. He also did the old suspension bridge to Anglesey :wink:
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Hello muzz
Thanks for all the links to all your past Walsh trips sorry for not getting back sooner but I was too busy reading and looking at everything :lol:
What is whales love for camp sites ?
Brian
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 pm

There are tons of campsites in North and Mid-Wales, and as you're not in school holiday time you should have no problem getting onto any of them.

I'd recommend the Cae Du site we stayed at, it's a bit exposed but if you're lucky with the weather it's great. That's the Cae Du site at Cae Du Farm, Rhoslefain, Tywyn LL36 9ND, not the one at Beddgelert although that one may be good as well.

Shell Island is subjective, but it's worth a go. I'd also recommend Bryn Gloch at Betws Garmon where the Welsh Highland Railway passes through the site. Also at Waunfawr to the east of Caernarfon there's a micro-brewery & campsite and pub & restaurant, what more could you need but quality beer on a campsite with food and right by the train station!

There are other good sites we've stayed at in Barmouth & Llangollen, there are gazillions of them, take your pick.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for the reply muss and sorry for not getting back sooner , I'll look those places up tonight .
The plan now is to arrive via Holyhead and to go back via Pembroke and the Bash is Nicky in the middle :D
So 2/3 days to get to the bash 2 days there and then 2/3 days to get back
Brian

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”