Bongo hire in New Zealand

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Bongo hire in New Zealand

Post by bongobaz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 am

My sister wants to go to New Zealand touring but has been quoted ridiculous money for Motorhome rental.
Do any of our N/Z members know of bongo hire or rental.
Who knows 1 month rental could pay to keep your bongo running for 12 months.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo hire in New Zealand

Post by Bongolia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:18 am

Did two stints in NZ once with Tui Campers in a Mitzi 4wd camper van, very cramped, the next time we did the North island with Freedom Campers very good price, bit old stock it was a reassuring 2.5 TD Transit coach built but suited our needs as it had everything on board albeit a bit worn.
I would suggest going for a coach built as the camping is a lot more off grid than UK.
Great place to tour round.
Whatever they choose I am sure they will enjoy NZ.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 am

Some friends of ours are there at the minute and using these:
http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.nz/
Not a bongo - but fairly similar

Jane
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Ace rentals at Auckland airport used to have Bongos in their fleet.

Currently they appear to have Estimas and the superb 12 seater HiAce (one of which I would love to have here once Brexit is accomplished).

New Zealand has plenty of Japanese people carriers similar to the Spaceship fleet for rental.

The two times I have been there (almost everywhere but Stewart Island) I found that the best combination was renting a banger from Ace and staying in cabins on camp sites such as the Top Ten chain. Cheaper on fuel and the accommodation was cheap and gave far more space at night than any van. Almost always vacancies without booking.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Diplomat wrote:Currently they appear to have Estimas and the superb 12 seater HiAce (one of which I would love to have here once Brexit is accomplished).
Aren't they available here without Brexit then? Ah. Must be another Brexit falacy then... https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/toyota-h ... 1209386683

#-o
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:58 pm

boyfrombrasil wrote:
Diplomat wrote:Currently they appear to have Estimas and the superb 12 seater HiAce (one of which I would love to have here once Brexit is accomplished).
Aren't they available here without Brexit then? Ah. Must be another Brexit falacy then... https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/toyota-h ... 1209386683

#-o
Not that one that I want, unfortunately (well not really unfortunately because it doesn't appeal to me enough).

The one I like which Ace Rentals in Auckland had as their courtesy bus is this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 9_left.JPG

It's got a conventional gutter, that's what makes it particularly useful!

I've had it in for bodged left-hand drive european vehicles since long before 'Brexit' was a gleam in anyone's eye. It first started when I went to the West Indies, India and New Zealand and saw all the models we can't easily get here which are metaphorically two-a-penny elsewhere and I know aren't here because of EU restrictions against competition.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”