Highest Pub in Scotland, 11th-12th March 2017

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Highest Pub in Scotland, 11th-12th March 2017

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:36 am

Wots wrong with Scottish tap water. I've been using the fluoride favoured stuff from local lochs to make my tea for 15 years and it has not killed me yet.

But its Highland Spring Scottish bottled water for my whisky. None of that dreadful French stuff.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:27 am

Muzz is this a Friday and Saturday night stopover and home on Sunday meet
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Jim - We're only planning for it to be the one (Sat) night but the pub won't mind people turning up the night before.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:59 pm

I would have thought that it would be the other way round. This is Scotland remember and the drink / drive limits are lower than in England. When we have meets at Red squirrel campsite we tend to get sloshed on Friday night then stick to water or Iron Bru on the Saturday night to avoid loosing our driving licences on the way home.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm

MountainGoat wrote:I would have thought that it would be the other way round. This is Scotland remember and the drink / drive limits are lower than in England. When we have meets at Red squirrel campsite we tend to get sloshed on Friday night then stick to water or Iron Bru on the Saturday night to avoid loosing our driving licences on the way home.

A wee word of warning , you need to be very careful with your alcohol intake when drinking in Wanlockhead, owing to the altitude .
kentait
Bongonaut

Post by kentait » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:43 pm

[We are in the Philippines at the moment, and bongo is in for major surgery. But hope to make this meet.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am

Muzorewa wrote:Hi Jim - We're only planning for it to be the one (Sat) night but the pub won't mind people turning up the night before.
May just pop down in the car for the day then, have a bar lunch and see who's about, and say hello.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
MissBerylBongoTattoo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MissBerylBongoTattoo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Muzorewa wrote:After a chilly weekend at the Tan Hill Inn, and a rather frosty reception by some of the staff, we've decided that our next mission should be the highest pub in Scotland, the Wanlockhead Inn. Now before anyone jumps up in complaint, we know there was an argument about the highest pub in the UK between the Tan Hill Inn and the Cat & Fiddle (now closed) in Cheshire, but the Wanlockhead Inn is the proclaimed highest in Scotland, not The Allargue Arms Hotel in Strathdon, so that's our plan.

I've checked with the pub and they're happy for us to use their carpark overnight. I'll give them numbers in due course once we've gauged interest. It's not that far into Scotland, so all you northern England types can easily make it as well as the Borders Scottish contingent. Address is Wanlockhead Inn, Wanlockhead, Dumfries & Galloway ML12 6UZ, phone 01659 74535, 55.398160, -3.781720 (55°23′53.4″N 003°46′54.2″W) for your SatNav. It's about midway between Carlisle and Glasgow, close to the M74 so easy to get to, although for a scenic drive I'd go through Dumfries and up along Mennock Water.

There are a few places worth looking at in the area, sadly at this time of year most of them are closed but you still might be able to poke a camera through the fence to have a look:

Leadhills and Wanlockhead Railway, Britain's highest narrow gauge adhesion railway (as opposed to rack & pinion mountain railways)
ML12 6XS
http://www.leadhillsrailway.co.uk/

Drumlanrig castle
DG3 4AQ
01848 331555
http://www.drumlanrigcastle.co.uk/

Ae, the shortest placename in the UK but also home to some excellent mountain bike trails, you can hire bikes there if you don't fancy taking your own:
DG1 1QB
http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/visit/forest-of-ae

Right across the road from the pub carpark in Wanlockhead is the lead mining museum. Now they're officially closed at the time of our visit but are prepared to open for us if there are a few of us interested in making it worth their while. See http://www.leadminingmuseum.co.uk and let me know, if there are enough we can get them to open on the Saturday afternoon.

Check the first part of THIS link for some points of interest in Dumfries such as Robert Burns' house & mausoleum etc, and a rather nice photo of Drumlanrig castle which you still might be able to replicate even though they'll be officially closed :wink:
Hi there, Beryl Bongo and I would be keen to come to this as our first Bongo Fury meet up. Is there space for us?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Welcome - and yes there's space. No need to book, just turn up if you're able and make sure you have a nosey in all the vans.

Be sure to say hello, some folks like to keep themselves to themselves, which is fine. But once you get us talking Bongos, or Spam, there's no escape! Also if you want to do the lead-mining museum tour, no obligation, but if you do be sure to be there for early afternoon.

We'll be in a silver Bongo with rusty wheelarches :wink:
MissBerylBongoTattoo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MissBerylBongoTattoo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Yippee thats Perfect. It'll be Our First Bongo Fury trip :D We'll be there and will ofcourse introduce ourselves. What time is best to get there on the 11th as yes I would love to catch the Museum.
MissBerylBongoTattoo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MissBerylBongoTattoo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 am

MissBerylBongoTattoo wrote:Yippee thats Perfect. It'll be Our First Bongo Fury trip :D We'll be there and will ofcourse introduce ourselves. What time is best to get there on the 11th as yes I would love to catch the Museum.
I see from the Forum that Someone suggested Lettershaws Farm for overnight stay instead of the Carpark at Wanlockhead Inn, please confirm what has been decided. Lettershaws Farm looks stunning :D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 am

The Lettershaws Farm campsite was a suggestion for any folk who need to have electric hookup or other campsite amenities. It's a few miles up the road so you'd be a bit isolated and I'm not aware that anyone is booked in there. Most (all?) will just pitch up at the Wanlockhead Inn and wild-camp on the carpark, or in the mining museum carpark if necessary. The mining museum does have the lure of clean toilets and hot water :lol:

We're aiming to be up there late morning. There's nothing stopping anyone arriving on the Friday if you want to get properly laminated and avoid being breathalysed on the Sunday afternoon. Or stop Sunday night too. We can only do the one night but I'm sure the pub won't mind people being there longer as long as you're giving them at least some custom, even soft drinks or food.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Wont be making this now Muz..........not yet up to camping,but cant drive for a couple of months anyway

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Really good to see you back on here Brian. =D>

Look after yourself, take it steady and start Bongoing once you're good and fit. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Bob wrote:Really good to see you back on here Brian. =D>

Look after yourself, take it steady and start Bongoing once you're good and fit. :D
2nd that.

Now, back to bed AT ONCE Mr 'Plod (says matron) :lol:

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”