Retiring,Roaming, Rambling, Campsites: Advice needed

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Retiring,Roaming, Rambling, Campsites: Advice needed

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Scratch wrote:I hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement. I will be retiring in a couple of years and your plans are very interesting. Please keep us all informed about how things work out. :)
Will do. I've yet to put my money where my mouth is but i certainly feel like i want to do this so will keep all posted. I might use gliding clubs (and accommodation where they have it) as part of my touring mix also ;-)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Thanks Roo v useful and yes thats what i've kept hearing about CC. I've emailed them to ask about tbeir unconverted Bongo policy. Will post their reply. Anyway it may all be unnecessary as it looks like the BBC (Bobs Bongo Camping) are about to launch - there'll be no stopping them I warrant :lol:
I never had an issue with Tintin (unconverted) at CC club sites, even with a side tent, but I did have an issue at one CL where the lady 'insisted' I wanted the CCC CS site opposite!. A lot of CLs do not allow tents, although others couldn't care less, they just want the money.

The CC CL rules do say "no tents".

CCC I've also never had an issue because Tintin was unconverted, but then I can't ever remember telling them! CCC CS also allow tents!

Oh - and I'm dead jealous! Can't wait to retire. This work thing gets in the way of my travelling weekends!
Great tips Jilly and thanks. Who are CL? See you out there i hope.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Certificated Locations, the CC farm sites and same as the C&CC Certificated Sites.

All done to confuse us. :?

They are all businesses independent of the Clubs but licensed through them so need to abide by Club rules.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Bob wrote:Certificated Locations, the CC farm sites and same as the C&CC Certificated Sites.

They are all businesses independent of the Clubs but licensed through them so need to abide by Club rules.
Ah, that explains a lot, maybe its these independent sites that want the business but not what they see as the Bongo riff-raff. Meanwhile i've had this reply from CC
Dear Mike

Thank you for your email.

I can advise that we do accept Mazda Bongo on our club sites and for membership of The Club providing it meets the following criteria: It has seats that convert to beds, fitted storage and if it contains cooking facilities that these are rigidly fixed whilst on transit and are well ventilated.

Providing your outfit has these facilities, then we would be very happy to welcome you on our sites.
So, not sure where that leaves me. My seats convert to beds and although i'll have a single burner suitcase cooker with me for emergency pot noodles/cuppas i doubt i'll cook seriously in the Bongo. I have fitted storage inasmuch as i have a drawer unit under the middle bench but does that qualify? Think i'll need to put these questions to CC
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Camping Club are likely to be more strict than C&CC, but as said, I just book as a small camper van or car and tent.

Our £12 Asda tent does us as a shed and no one has ever come to check up where we actualy sleep or inspect our inards. :shock:

Non 'Club' sites are likely to be less fussy still and with UK Campsites I don't recon you need them. :wink:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Bob wrote:Certificated Locations, the CC farm sites and same as the C&CC Certificated Sites.

Ah, that explains a lot, maybe its these independent sites that want the business but not what they see as the Bongo riff-raff. Meanwhile i've had this reply from CC
Dear Mike

Thank you for your email.

I can advise that we do accept Mazda Bongo on our club sites and for membership of The Club providing it meets the following criteria: It has seats that convert to beds, fitted storage and if it contains cooking facilities that these are rigidly fixed whilst on transit and are well ventilated.

Providing your outfit has these facilities, then we would be very happy to welcome you on our sites.
So, not sure where that leaves me. My seats convert to beds and although i'll have a single burner suitcase cooker with me for emergency pot noodles/cuppas i doubt i'll cook seriously in the Bongo. I have fitted storage inasmuch as i have a drawer unit under the middle bench but does that qualify? Think i'll need to put these questions to CC
We have gone through this with the CCC in the past. We were in the process of converting our t25 and sent them images of the set up, just a large tool box and camping stove, bench seat folded flat for a bed, they confirmed all was acceptable and entered the reg on their system. Carried a print out of the email in case but no problems. Might be an idea to put covers on the bed ,we did.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:03 am

Bob wrote:2 Bookings in the diary. :D
Ooooo Arrrrrrrrr :lol:
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Yer tis:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6S92nLZO8

And get theese self down 'ere young'un..

http://wilkinscider.com/

Seriously, Roger's cider is the best I've found. :D
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 am

The Mrs is quite partial to a Dickens Cider :shock:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 am

MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 pm

So they are finally kicking you out. I hope that you don't have many friends at work, my retirement bash at the Civil Service Club in London cost me a fortune.

Most of the suggestions that you have received apply to England and Wales. What about coming up to Scotland on your travels Mike, the midges are not everywhere and not all the year round. Having been retired for quite a few years now and being a member of both the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club I have become aware of how the prices are constantly creeping up and using campsites all the time is becoming quite expensive. Added to that boredom has crept in and I have been looking for new horizons. With these points in mind I have joined the Facebook Scottish Motorhome Wild Campers group. You don't have to be in Scotland to join, just love the place. While most members are from Scotland some are from England, Wales, France, Spain, Holland and Norway etc.

The idea is that most members camp wild for 2 or 3 days then use a campsite for a night to clean up, take on water and empty the bog. This can keep the costs down to reasonable levels so that you can afford to spent more time out in your motorhome or campervan. The Scottish Motorhome Wild Campers have an interactive map showing you were you can camp wild, stay at a campsite, and obtain fuel and water. Most of the locations are in very beautiful remote places, then there is the occasional country inn that will let you camp free overnight in its carpark if you take a meal at the bar.

Now if you make it to the Scottish Borders you are invited to pop in at my place to clean up. But I will probably have to fumigate the house afterwards.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I wish you all the best Mike sounds like you will have some fun and see some wonderful landscapes.
I was going to go out to the west country on my own but never got round to it a few weekends a go to see a band I like. Guess I just did not have the courage and energy to do it on my Jacks.

All this talk about you can do this and you cannot do that. Campsites can stuff it. Put me right off them to be honest. Is there a guide that specifically lists camp sites that are not run by the stuck up ?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Tony - thanks for that and i should have made it clear Scotland is most definitely near the top of my hit list. My first Bongo outing was with the kids to Newtonmore and the Cairngorms and Scotland is Gods Country for me. I have friends also in Newtonmore and gliding vlubs to visit at Feshiebridge, Portmoak and Aboyne, as well as wonderful walking to do. The FB wild campers group sounds great and i'll check that out also. And i'll drop by for a cuppa and catch up (i'll make sure i'm nice and smelly before i do :lol: )

BB123 - yes i wonder how courageous i'll be when it comes to touring on my own. I'm determined to try though. And Brian (Bongoplod) is keen to convoy so that should help. Maybe we should start a Last of the Summer Bongos group - could be a chuckle :lol:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Best of luck Mike with your retirement.
You might also have a look at Britstops, we've used them and they are generally OK. No facilities usually but lots of them are pubs =D>
A certain member on here whose name begins with a B virtually lives in them.
All the best. Main thing is enjoy it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 am

briwy wrote:Best of luck Mike with your retirement.
You might also have a look at Britstops, we've used them and they are generally OK. No facilities usually but lots of them are pubs =D>
A certain member on here whose name begins with a B virtually lives in them.
All the best. Main thing is enjoy it.
Thanks briwy, that's the plan, and hopefully see you in a field somewhere :-)

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”