Hardknott Pass in the snow

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Hardknott Pass in the snow

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:good effort guys, and the girls too, chell would have done the stop the car now routine and started walking. :shock: :shock: .

looks like the lsd was working hard on the up hill bits, on summer tyres too eh.

got a tee shirt for you both on order.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ICONZ-CARTOON ... 3cd8bb7d9d
Looking at the tracks, the rear LSD seemed to keep the back end fairly controlled. Biggest challenge on the uphills was keeping the front wheels pointing in the right direction. And the biggest challenge on the downhills was keeping the speed down to walking pace, once above that the ABS kicks in and pretty well disables the brakes. Judicious (jerky) releasing of brakes was enough to get the front end to steer in the direction I wanted, with not much room for manoeuvre before dropping off a cliff on one side :shock:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 pm

its easy fooled isnt it abs, like you found out maybe the trick is to keep the speed real low, no rotation = no steering.

we get into some real spots with the wagons on the farms in winter, up hills are ok but down hill and that bloody gravity makes yer bum squeek. :lol:
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Nail biting stuff.luv it! :wink: =D>
Take it,you didn't fancy stopping for a bit of a wild camp? LOL :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#0000BF]billybongofreedom[/color]
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 pm

Jilly
No but we had the advantage of having winter tyres on which I think made the most difference. I can lock the rear diff as well and turn off the ABS so that also helped. I came down slowly in neutral with very light braking as even in bottom gear it was trying to drive the van down too fast

BFB
The camera is a DOD 460W dashcam. The actual video quality is excellent from the camera itself but it takes five minute segments so I've had to stitch them together and then compress the file to get it to a reasonable size for YouTube so quality has suffered. On the raw video you can clearly see Muz's front wheels locking up and sliding on the steep downhill bits, very scary looking at the video as I was too busy at the time to see it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:16 pm

briwy wrote:Jilly
No but we had the advantage of having winter tyres on which I think made the most difference. I can lock the rear diff as well and turn off the ABS so that also helped. I came down slowly in neutral with very light braking as even in bottom gear it was trying to drive the van down too fast

BFB
The camera is a DOD 460W dashcam. The actual video quality is excellent from the camera itself but it takes five minute segments so I've had to stitch them together and then compress the file to get it to a reasonable size for YouTube so quality has suffered. On the raw video you can clearly see Muz's front wheels locking up and sliding on the steep downhill bits, very scary looking at the video as I was too busy at the time to see it.
With the veedub being 2wd (i assume?) was following in muz's tyre tracks a necessary part of the strategy?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 am

No, that VW is a 4WD :wink:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:51 am

Respect! And you beat me to it. It's the coming down that requires regular underwear changes. One obs, you forgot to put the bikes on the back, just in case you needed to send the family ahead to check conditions :D

I first navigated that road on a New Years Eve in a Ford Capri in the dark. On those humpy corners and hairpins we seemed to spend minutes at a time just hoping for the best while the headlights pointed nowhere useful and the long bonnet obscured all sight of the road.

The video is a superb example how conditions can go from ok to very dodgy in a matter of minutes.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 am

cmm303 wrote:
The video is a superb example how conditions can go from ok to very dodgy in a matter of minutes.
Absolutely. And also how rain turns to snow with just a small difference in altitude
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 am

Muzorewa wrote:No, that VW is a 4WD :wink:
Wow. Didn't know they (commonly) did one. Mystery solved.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 am

I doff my cap to the pair of you, what an excellent adventure.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

briwy wrote:BFB
Thanks for the info. I have been considering getting one of those dashcam thingies. As you have already bought that model, would you still recommend it? Meanwhile, I will take a look at the camera reviews.

roosmith wrote:I doff my cap to the pair of you, what an excellent adventure.
Yes. I agree, an "excellent adventure". Thanks Bill, thanks Ted... :P :roll:
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 pm

I use one of these, Paul:

http://shop.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-dc-2-dash-cam

Very pleased with the camera, but not the company it came from. Based in Cornwall.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm

boyfrombrasil wrote:
briwy wrote:BFB
Thanks for the info. I have been considering getting one of those dashcam thingies. As you have already bought that model, would you still recommend it? Meanwhile, I will take a look at the camera reviews.

roosmith wrote:I doff my cap to the pair of you, what an excellent adventure.
Yes. I agree, an "excellent adventure". Thanks Bill, thanks Ted... :P :roll:
Yes definitely. Good quality and features. Not cheap, around £140. Got it direct from the importers http://www.dod-tech.co.uk/, came by return. It comes with a player which has a Google map with it so you can see the actual track. Also has a GPS speed readout on the screen which is handy.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Loved watching that guys, made my day.

It's been a rubbish day. :D
Do what you like.Like what you do.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

WOW is all I have to say... 4 x 4 I presume. Great job and did someone say no winter tyres ? GULP That is incredible but looks really dangerous as well.

Hats off to the Bongo !

I am not sure my humble 2WD would fair as well.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”