Irish Adventure

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Irish Adventure

Post by the janner vanner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 pm

We have just returned from the emerald isle after our 3 week Irish Adventure, starting from Rosslare, taking in Wexford, New Ross, Waterford, Dungarvan, Youghal. We stopped at Midtown where they have an aire in the public car park. Visited Cork before heading of through Bandon to spend a night at a campsite a Timoleage.
Then we drove through Clonakilly, Skibereen stopping for a few hours at Bantry and onto and over the mountain pass to Kenmare staying the night wild camping. Onto Kilarney where we picked up supplies. Off again through Castleisland, Abbeyfeale, Newcastle West, Adare where we had lunch. Passed Limerick and Ennis and stopped at Gort had a meal in an hotel. we then drove past Galway and stopped at Tuam wild camping for the night.
It was then onto Charlestown, Tobarcurry, and Sligo where spent a few hours before contuning to Manorhamilton and crossing the boarder into he North and Belcoo staying the night at a camp site. The next day we headed for Roseanne's homeland passing throught Enniskillen, Omagh, Strabane stoppimg at Derry for supplies at Sainsburys before contuning to Greencastle in the far north of Donegal, Roseanne's birth place. We stayed here from the Monday till the following Sunday. Staying with family and visiting old friends.
Now for the return to the south, but first we went to Castlerock via the Derry Bridge, Limavady and up the coast road to Castlerock. This where Haydn and Jenney Callow have their Irish getaway. Unfortunatley our paths didn't cross. We stayed the night here wild camping.
Now we drove the stunning Antrim coast passing through Coleraine, Port Stewart, Port Rush, Bushmills, Ballycastle, Cushendall, Glenarm down to Larne before turning inland to Belfast and onto a camp site at killyleagh. We stayed here for 3 nights soas to explore this area.
Next it was off to my sister-in-laws in Dunboyne passing through Newrey, Dundalk, Drogheda, Naven to Dunboyne. We stayed there from the Thursday to the Sunday.
Now for the final leg From Dunboyne through Dublin, Wicklow, Arklow, Enniscothy and on to Wexford where we stayed the night wild camping before catching the ferry at Rosslare to Pembrook

A round trip of 1,492 kms, and the old girl didn't miss a beat. After getting off the ferry we travelled from Pembrook to Cullompton at an average 70 mph without a break. Bongo's forever. The secret is regular and good servicing.

Dave
The Janner Vanner
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Irish Adventure

Post by Doone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Wow Dave! What a trip, it sounds wonderful! =D> :D
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Does sound good and I know you were going to say the best bit was the drive through Wales too,lol.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Fantastic. =D>
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Something still on my to do list although I don't have a Bongo any more. With an Irish name my Scottish born father told me that his lot originally came from somewhere in County Clare so I have to go there. Now being Scottish based I will be going round the other way from Stranraer.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:15 am

I do hope there's a photo album :lol:

Sounds like a great trip.
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Dave.....did you camp on the sea front at C' rock?? Did you identify our old cottage??
They are doing major building work along the seafront so not so good at the moment.....we pop over to greencastle for lunch when the ferry is operating,,,,we go to Keelys Bar.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Wow what a great trip. Lucky old Bongo. :-)
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Jamisons
Which way
On the way to Bantry Bay
What a view
Sky High

Sligo
Donegal beach

Roseanne at home Lough Foyle
The Janner Vanner
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Haydn, yes we stayed the night outside no 7. That chippy around the corner from you is the best Fish and Chips I've had in years. I was going to take some pix but with all the road works I decided against it. Lucy ol you, what a fantastic place to escape to. So sorry I didn't get my act together and phoned you earlier.

Dave
The Janner Vanner
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Dave and Roseanne...long time no see.... :oops: ....what an adventure... =D> .....glad you enjoyed the emerald isle.....so many wonderful places to visit in this part of the world I wonder why people go abroad.

We are hoping to meet up with you both again as you are one of the nicest couples we have ever met..... =D>

Alan and Dee
Alan...still plodding on....!
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Awe shucks, your just saying that. Yes it would be great to meet up again, have you been in touch with Tim and Gill lately?

Dave
The Janner Vanner
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Ireland is one place I haven't been yet ...
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Some nice shots there, there's some great wild camping both sides of the border. We thought Donegal and Kerry were best for that but it's a beautiful country.
JudgeFoozle
Junior Bongonaut

Post by JudgeFoozle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 am

Great photos, I recognise a lot of those places! Meant to comment on this ages ago as I'm near Tuam, where did you wildcamp? Hope you sampled some pubs and bumped into a Sawdoctor...

There's a great campsite near Ballina, Mayo - also a decent one in Enniscrone, Sligo which is walking distance to a beach you could spend a few days on. The mobile home area is nicer than the camper site there though.

Louisburgh, Mayo is also a very nice spot and wildcamping would be easy. Happy to recommend places on the West Coast for anyone planning a trip this direction.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”