3,000 mile trip round Europe....

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

3,000 mile trip round Europe....

Post by HarrysDad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Fellow Bongonauts.
We have just returned from 3,000-mile, six week trip around Europe in our 2.5 diesel. We even took our baby son, Harry, who is now eight months old.
We had one or two nervous moments in the Bongo but she got us back and we love her for it.
Here is the link to my article in the Yorkshire Post. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.
Andrew, Ellie and Harry.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyl ... -1-4850991
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: 3,000 mile trip round Europe....

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm

HarrysDad wrote:Fellow Bongonauts.
We have just returned from 3,000-mile, six week trip around Europe in our 2.5 diesel. We even took our baby son, Harry, who is now eight months old.
We had one or two nervous moments in the Bongo but she got us back and we love her for it.
Here is the link to my article in the Yorkshire Post. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.
Andrew, Ellie and Harry.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyl ... -1-4850991
Posted this on your other thread but wil repeate it here:

Wow, what an interesting read. I was struck by:
Crossing the high Alpine passes – including a snowy Col Agnel at 9,000ft – was truly memorable, although for me the horror of a near-breakdown at the summit still gives me palpitations. Ears popping with the altitude, the Bongo’s response to the pressure was to lose some coolant from beneath the engine, the sight of which brought me close to a nervous breakdown.
..but are you sure that what you saw wasn't just condensation from the aircon - very common and often mistaken for a burst pipe and coolant leakage.

Bongos are great though aren't they. Can you imagine having to do all that manual gearchanging in a VW as you went over the high Alpine passes - no left hand for munching sandwiches, or for pointing out the landscape highlights as you drove. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to your article. The Bongo is actually quite a lot smaller inside than a VW (it is narrower, though length is about the same). But (for me) that (and the autobox) is what makes it a better all rounder, and a lot less hassle when it comes to heading down narrow country lanes or urban streets. And it has some lovely extras, like electic blinds and separate front and rear heater systems (the rear is often removed upon conversion to campervan mind you). And the turning circle (of the 2WD at least) is spectacularly good.
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for reading. You might be right about the air-con water. The coolant tank appeared to be boiling over and I believe that some coolant may have been lost with the pressure, but I am not certain. It certainly made me worried. We topped the coolant up as it had dropped. Anyway, it was fine from there on. The speedo packed up but this has now been fixed; nothing mechanical, just the dial not settling properly and obstructing the needle. Yep, we love our Bongo. We like the Lakes and Dales so it's perfect when you need to take a lot of kit, as we do!
Andrew
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 pm

HarrysDad wrote:Thanks for reading. You might be right about the air-con water. The coolant tank appeared to be boiling over and I believe that some coolant may have been lost with the pressure, but I am not certain. It certainly made me worried. We topped the coolant up as it had dropped. Anyway, it was fine from there on. The speedo packed up but this has now been fixed; nothing mechanical, just the dial not settling properly and obstructing the needle. Yep, we love our Bongo. We like the Lakes and Dales so it's perfect when you need to take a lot of kit, as we do!
Andrew
Yes it's quite possible I guess that the lower pressure (+the hard work being done by the engine) caused boiling at a lower temp, so it is good you took remedial action. Of course, the header tank level is a fair bit lower when the engine is cold so you'd need to be sure the level really had dropped due to coolant loss. The only reason I'm a bit suspicious is that a convoy of Bongos went over the Alps to Italy a few years back, presumably reaching decent altitudes, and I don't recall a similar incident. So the old Bongo seems to be generally a tough bird at altitude. It may be that your cooling system is not operating as well as it should, in which case I would put it on 'special measures' (my term for fitting an engine block temp gauge, as the standard gauge will not tell you anything about engine heating and cooling patterns and thus what might be abnormal). You should 100% have a low coolant alarm anyway as standard kit, but if the radiator is a bit clogged, or the thermostat, or the water pump is working below par, or the engine fan temp sensors are tired and not triggering when they should, then the engine may not be getting the cooling it needs promptly, and where it needs it. Its the kind of thing (like heart problems) that may only show when the cooling system is stressed, maybe by the engine working hard, or by sitting in stationary traffic (especially after a hot run) in hot weather etc.

But a healthy Bongo is a great car - no doubt about that. That said, they are not young motors (back to hearts etc)!

Good little article. How do you come to be writing for the Yorkshire Post? 8)
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi again. The Bongo went to the garage after the trip - no problems found. Had an oil change, the least I could do for the old girl. All fine up to press; speaking of which - I am a member of staff at the Yorkshire Post. One of the news reporters. I might start an online blog about camping and Bongo-ing with a baby. Watch this space. Andrew
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm

HarrysDad wrote:Hi again. The Bongo went to the garage after the trip - no problems found. Had an oil change, the least I could do for the old girl. All fine up to press; speaking of which - I am a member of staff at the Yorkshire Post. One of the news reporters. I might start an online blog about camping and Bongo-ing with a baby. Watch this space. Andrew
Excellent idea. Gosh, well thats a paper with pedigree. I've written a bit myself, in magazines connected with my hobbies, which is why I was curious about you, and I'm a bit of a blogger if the company and conversation interest me. And there is definitely something about a Bongo, and the people who own them. I don't know what I'm going to do if/as/when I have to return to owning and driving an ordinary car 8)
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:27 am

We are hoping to do a similar trip next year - maybe drive down through France and into Spain and keep going. Or we may do the 1,600 mile round trip to our holiday home on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. It's a nice run through Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. Done it before in a Shogun, but fancy doing it in the Bongo for a change, and taking our time. Has anyone else done any big trips? Any tips and suggestions would be well received. Andrew =D>
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:17 pm

HarrysDad wrote:We are hoping to do a similar trip next year - maybe drive down through France and into Spain and keep going. Or we may do the 1,600 mile round trip to our holiday home on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. It's a nice run through Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. Done it before in a Shogun, but fancy doing it in the Bongo for a change, and taking our time. Has anyone else done any big trips? Any tips and suggestions would be well received. Andrew =D>
Hopefully, were off to Puglia (southern Italy) then if time ferry over to Sicily, thats of course if we get the 'chappy' back in time from the roof installers, refitting the Fiamma F45s, putting back my interior conversion and recovering from my hand injury (haemtoma) [-o< :lol:
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:34 pm

HarrysDad wrote:We are hoping to do a similar trip next year - maybe drive down through France and into Spain and keep going. Or we may do the 1,600 mile round trip to our holiday home on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. It's a nice run through Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. Done it before in a Shogun, but fancy doing it in the Bongo for a change, and taking our time. Has anyone else done any big trips? Any tips and suggestions would be well received. Andrew =D>
I went to Israel its fantastic but I went in this
It did make the Bongo look good on fuel though :D
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm

winchman wrote:
I went to Israel its fantastic but I went in this
It did make the Bongo look good on fuel though :D
yea! nice boats those Celebrity :lol:
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Has anyone done the drive down through France, Spain and into Morroco? I would be interested in any tips and experiences. Andrew
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:08 pm

I believe you can get a ferry from Cadiz
Cadiz is very nice a proper Spanish small town, a couple of nice beaches etc, we would go back but its proper Spain so its not like resorts on the Costa Del Sol, not many people spoke English but I managed and the kids are good at Spanish so no problem.
Can you get the boat from Gibralta? Been here twice, Booze, cigs and fuels cheap everything else is expensive, personally I would travel from Cadiz as I feel it has more to offer
I have Been to Agadeer ( spelling) in Morroco too, very mixed old and new, big offices and palaces next to shacks. But we really need to see more to judge it.
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 pm

And here is my blog; a work in progress....feel free to comment.

http://campervanlife.wordpress.com/

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”