Bitterly Disappointing.

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

RabidSalmon

Bitterly Disappointing.

Post by RabidSalmon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:19 pm

We have just returned from our first ever Bongo Bash (Summer Camp at Little Staughton) and I must say I am bitterly disappointed. Posted to us a couple of weeks prior to the Bash was paperwork giving us directions, a list of other members attending and an itinerary of sorts stating there would be a walk arranged for either Friday or Saturday and a BBQ for 6pm on Saturday. On arrival we were met by a nice chap who directed us to our pitch. As it was out very first Bash we were a little unsure as what to expect, at the very least what i did expect was for Ian to pop over and introduce himself, out of politeness if nothing else and I would have liked to have asked a couple of questions with regards to what “the norm” is? i.e. is it generally acceptable to just walk around introducing ourselves? The last thing we wanted was to impose on people. This unfortunately didn’t happen nor did anyone else offer to even speak to us apart from our neighbours either side that we did chat to occasionally and were very nice people, the rest didn’t even seem to want to make eye contact as they walked by us. We were not made to feel welcome at all. The walk happened on Saturday morning at approx 11:30am, unfortunately we were not informed of this, the only reason we even knew anything about it is because we happened to walk to the site shop (their meeting place) at that time where we saw them all walk off just as we approached them, again without acknowledging us. Unfortunately this weekend has left us feeling extremely disappointed as we were massively looking forward to meeting some of the seemingly great people on this forum. I know it was a select few and I will not tar everyone with the same brush but, needless to say we will not be attending another one and regrettably will not be renewing our membership to BongoFury.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Bitterly Disappointing.

Post by mister munkey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I think the wrong end of the stick has been picked up here.

:|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 pm

So sorry that you felt that you were not made welcome, I can honestly say the it's not the norm. We always make every effort to meet and include newcomers to our local and national meets that we attend. Unfortnatley we could not attend this one, so can't comment on your experance.

I know it must be quite daunting to a newbie when we all first arrive and everyone seems to know each other. It must seem very clicky, but no intent is intended. Some of us have been attending these meets for over six years now, and it's become a more of a social gathering as well as being a meet for the Bongo enthusiast.

I do hope you give us another chance and come to another meet, where i'm sure you would be made most welcome.

Please, enjoy your Bongoing experance,

Dave and Roseanne
The Janner Vanner
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh my word. I was shocked and sorry to read your post - the first, I think I have ever seen of its kind on the forum in the 2.5 years I have been on here.

In the almost three years we have had our Bongo we have attended many meets from day meets, to locally organised weekends as well as Club organised meets and I have to say that we have been made to feel welcome at each and every one. Although I have a lot to say for myself on the forum, and quite a lot to say for myself once I get to know people, I always feel awkward faced with "strangers" and rarely make the first move but have been lucky enough that none of the strangers I have met at Bongo meets have remained so for long.

I would urge you to try another meet, maybe a local day meet, before you write everyone off!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm afraid that I have a different point of view from Allison, I just see 'no-one told me I had to use my initiative' writ large.

The discourse reads like someone from Victorian times has been transported to the 21st century, amazingly by talking to strangers, smiling at them and being nice to people will usually get you somewhere, perhaps you were sending out 'keep away from us we're reserved' vibes to others, so they kept their distance?

Don't give up, get back to a day meeting and introduce yourself, and don't be so shy! :)
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 pm

RabidSalmon wrote:...nor did anyone else offer to even speak to us apart from our neighbours either side that we did chat to occasionally and were very nice people, the rest didn’t even seem to want to make eye contact as they walked by us.
Perhaps the pink complexion and the foaming at the mouth frightened people!!!!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bertie Gumbo

Post by Bertie Gumbo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

well done munroman, kick some one when they are down.... the 'it's not our fault must be you' arguement is a little fruitless.

As I see it the post reflects an anticipation and excitment to be at the Bash with a little trepidation as to how it would work and how to feel included. And its is a real shame, they were in a Bongo (i guess?) at a Bongo Bash looking for the warm welcome that is constantly given within this forum.

Not too much to ask is it?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:06 pm

I went to my first and only Scottish Bongo Bash several years ago and found it to be the most dreary and soulless thing I'd ever been to, seemed to be a bit "cleeky" IMO.........People seemed to be more engrossed in watching the Eurovision Song Contest than mixing and communicating so I kinda understand the first post.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 pm

I felt very intimidated on arriving at my first Bongo meet, South West at Looe. Parked my newly purchased tintop, which I thought was the greatest thing for camping since someone invented the tent and found myself surrounded by AFT's with every bit of kit imaginable. I suddenly felt like amateur hour or when the Dutch arrive on the campsite and unload a motorised rotisserie from a camper the size of a flat, with all home comforts.

Fortunately I wandered round admiring everyone else's Bongo's and realised they were all very friendly just busy setting up. I was actually overwhelmed by people with hookups who insisting on boiling kettles for me as I had only a camping gas stove and feeding me for the same reason. Hayden ,VioletBongoJo and Crazy really stood out for charity to the newcomer.

My first experience was good, but this year I was next to a couple at Southern Softies with an obviously very recently purchased Bongo who seemed a bit intimidated by it all. As I had all the kit by then, I was probably being one of the intimidating. :lol: Like RS they chatted to neighbours but did not join in other things. I expect they went home disappointed. A smaller meet would have suited them better.

Like many things Bongo meets get better as you do more of them. Names on the forum become friends to greet on arrival. You acquire the right kit not to feel an idiot and it all comes together.

Give it another try at a day meet and introduce yourself to everyone. A final point was the weather bad? A fine dry meet where everyone sits outside is much easier to handle than one where it buckets down and everyone is stuck in their Bongos bunking up with old friends.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Its a shame when someone attends a "first meet" and leaves it with an impression like that.Please dont give up on the meet side of ownership as they can be quite rewarding and I am sure that you will have learned from your experience.I have attended many meets both Club organised ones and member organised ones,in my opinion both have their merits but have always found the member organised ones that bit more open and welcoming (this isnt a criticism).I have had good and bad in both but generally it is always difficult to introduce yourself especially if you are quiet people.
I urge you not to give up as Im sure you will enjoy your next one.Why not give Harrys Silverdale Meet a go in October its a member organised one and always a good one to attend,given the weather its usually fantastic!!

All the best
Dabs :D
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:03 pm

mister munkey wrote:I think the wrong end of the stick has been picked up here. :|
I think that's exactly what happened, and I'm really sorry to hear that Rabid Salmon went home disappointed.

When I arrived on Thursday afternoon I did go round the site to see who was around, but unfortunately it was raining so hard, apart from a few hardy souls, everyone was either in their awning or out for the day. But I did a few circuits again on Friday morning, Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Regarding the walk, in the info sheets we sent out a few weeks prior to the event, I asked people who were interested in going to come and find me. About 20 did, and we left at 11.25. You should have introduced yourselves and then joined us........it was difficult to acknowledge you as we didn't know who you were! (There were about 150 non-Bongo tents and campers on the site at the time.)

The BBQ was held at 6pm on Saturday. You can't have missed it! It was that large group of people in the top corner of the field with the large gas fired BBQ, the circle of chairs and the bloke with the guitar! Again, you should have brought a chair over.....I met loads of new faces and we had a right laugh!

But having said that, I know it must be daunting for the newcomers at the meetings, and the field at Little Staughton wasn't the best for social acivity as everyone was around the edge of a large field. But if you had asked just about anyone "Where's Ian?", they would have pointed you in the right direction. I was around most of the time, mainly because the Eurovision Song Contest was earlier in the year.... :lol: :lol:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Whilst you may be put off from attending further meets, this is a general word of advice to anyone attending their first (or even subsequent) meet. Make up an A4 size "name tag" with your forum name on it (and possibly your first name(s) underneath) and put it inside your windscreen or somewhere equally visible. People who you've chatted to on the forum may then seek you out to say hello, and if you keep your eyes out for the more experienced folk's Bongos they will also have their forum name writ large somewhere. Of course this doesn't work if they aren't in or near their Bongo!!!!!

It doesn't help any that at Club meets the participant list names real names, but on the other hand, at a member organised meet you don't even know in advance who will be there so it makes no odds really.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Ian wrote:
mister munkey wrote:I think the wrong end of the stick has been picked up here. :|
I think that's exactly what happened, and I'm really sorry to hear that Rabid Salmon went home disappointed.

When I arrived on Thursday afternoon I did go round the site to see who was around, but unfortunately it was raining so hard, apart from a few hardy souls, everyone was either in their awning or out for the day. But I did a few circuits again on Friday morning, Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Regarding the walk, in the info sheets we sent out a few weeks prior to the event, I asked people who were interested in going to come and find me. About 20 did, and we left at 11.25. You should have introduced yourselves and then joined us........it was difficult to acknowledge you as we didn't know who you were! (There were about 150 non-Bongo tents and campers on the site at the time.)

The BBQ was held at 6pm on Saturday. You can't have missed it! It was that large group of people in the top corner of the field with the large gas fired BBQ, the circle of chairs and the bloke with the guitar! Again, you should have brought a chair over.....I met loads of new faces and we had a right laugh!

But having said that, I know it must be daunting for the newcomers at the meetings, and the field at Little Staughton wasn't the best for social acivity as everyone was around the edge of a large field. But if you had asked just about anyone "Where's Ian?", they would have pointed you in the right direction. I was around most of the time, mainly because the Eurovision Song Contest was earlier in the year.... :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I met you earlier on at that event Ian - think I even paid full price for a Bongo mug fer chrissakes! :shock:

BTW, who won the ESongC that year??
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 am

Friends get yourselves to an Allithwaite meet next time we have one. I meet and greet and you will be thrown in a the deep end with some lovely people. A truly nice chilled out event. I even arrange the weather the sheep and cattle on occasions. <taps nose> tell me what it going to be like.

A lady that comes to our meets is as she admitted "quite shy" but likes our meets because they are friendly. Personally I wouldn't be keen to arrange a big meet.

Jo x
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:51 am

I agree with most of what R S has said~in the last 2or3 years me & Christine have attended quite a few meets & met some lovely people.

This meet was completely different as R S said~ when i walked over the field (to the toilets etc;) people walking towards you seemed to look away rather than greet you with a smile or a good morning.

Ian & his group had a Barbie a few yards away from our Bongo & were very friendly,but to be polite we sat away so they could eat without us on top of them,eventually more people arrived & joined the Barbie & not one person acknowledged us, so we thought we might as well sit on our own in the awning & have a drink.

Same as RS we didn't know anyone at the meet so they probably thought we were newcomers & avoided us~obviously we won't be attending this particular meet again but will attend the meets where we know some of the people.

Anyway RS don't give up on the Bongo meets cus most of them are good.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”