Team Muz Highlands & Islands Tour 2009

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Re: Team Muz Highlands & Islands Tour 2009

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote:
Muzorewa wrote:
Next trip not planned yet - we're open to suggestions :lol:
How about a trip around Northern and Southern Ireland. (Emerald Isle)
Possible, although Mrs Muz has always been nervous of going there ever since we considered going in the early nineties in a green Land-Rover :?
Go south young man.... spent a month in southern Ireland years ago travelling around in a merc camper I built :D
Get over to the ring of Kerry like Cornwall but even more and less people. Loads of Castles etc kissed the blarney stone twice now, so will stop typing now :D
Fab place and people :D :D
Keep the Faith

Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 pm

maxheadroom wrote:
Muzorewa wrote:
Next trip not planned yet - we're open to suggestions :lol:
Go south young man.... spent a month in southern Ireland years ago travelling around in a merc camper I built :D
Get over to the ring of Kerry like Cornwall but even more and less people. Loads of Castles etc kissed the blarney stone twice now, so will stop typing now :D
Fab place and people :D :D
Seconded Max. Brilliant place. If I were not about to enjoy six months or more interrupted Bongoing, due to surgery, we would head back there before Christmas. If you go to Kerry, Glenross caravan and camping park in Glenbeigh on the Iveragh Peninsula is strongly recommended - say hi to the lovely Kathy, who runs it, for me (no, she doesn't run it for me - she runs it, and please say hi :lol: ).
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:00 am

Wild camping at the beach at Castlegregory recommended too :D
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
SilverEther
Bongolier

Post by SilverEther » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Wow ... that was so wierd looking at another set of pics the same ... except your a brave bunch and I am just trying to face my fear of ferries. You certainly went for it How many miles did you end up doing in the Bongo? How exciting was that flight to Barra? and Thankyou for the name Easfors Waterfall ... its been driving me nuts :mrgreen:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 pm

We didn't fly to Barra, only took some photos of the planes landing & taking off. 2,300 miles in the Bongo, no idea how many miles we did on the ferries. :wink:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Fabulous photos, as ever, of what looks to be pretty much the holiday of a lifetime (until your next one, no doubt) :D . I won't say I'm insanely jealous :mrgreen: because I've just a had a lovely holiday too BUT I am more than a little curious as to how you appear to travel so light :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you for taking the time to put all the photos up for us all (and for not coming to Cornwall this time because I wouldn't have found the photos half as interesting, although don't let that put you off. I'm looking forward to the time Muzette and Isaac meet and start whacking each other with sticks (don't worry folks - if they do, there'll be photos - Muz knows what I'm talking about (or at least I hope he remembers) :wink: :lol: ))
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 pm

How could I forget, Me Ol' Bam Boo :lol: :lol:

Travelling light - we did consciously dump loads of our normal gear before we set off - we knew that for three weeks the Bongo is a bit of a bind switching from 'living' to 'sleeping' mode so we took the bare minimum kit to make this easier, bearing in mind it would sometimes have to be done in the wind & rain which, allegedly, they get from time to time in Scotland :wink:

We also had three sleeping options available depending on the site and weather conditions. Our preferred arrangement was the roof full of junk, two in the Bongo and two in the tent. Next best was everyone in the Bongo, two upstairs, two downstairs. Third option which we had to deploy twice was everyone downstairs in the Bongo, three in the back and one in the passenger seat - It was that windy we didn't dare have the roof up :?
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks for enlightening me - am dramatically reviewing our luggage situation although so far all I can find that can be reasonably ditched is a spaghetti spoon (other pasta is more practical), potato scrubbing brush (pasta is better than potatoes) and one lantern which isn't as useful as it's size suggests. Must try harder!!!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:32 pm

We still took plenty of gear, four deckchairs, four sleeping bags, six pillows, tables, a ridiculous amount of clothes, loads of food (do they have shops north of the border? :roll: ) but we did jettison most of the electrical stuff (toaster, insect exterminator, electric kettle), loads of extraneous barbecue gear, some pots & pans (we only took one saucepan and one frying pan, two glasses, four mugs etc) and ended up with a really compact arrangement.

The daily routine was fairly slick and everyone knew what to do next, apart from Muzette who would immediately disappear and play in the sea even at 10pm. :wink:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 pm

#-o We take less than that already #-o #-o Three mugs, no glasses, no barbecue gear, one adult chair (with no arms), one child's chair and one little three legged stool, three sleeping bags, three inflatable pillows, three towels. Oh 'eck - I'm really going to have to start again. Reckon it must have been our levelling chocks that did it - I know you didn't have any of them :lol: And the awning of course but I think the problem lies with smaller things.

Maybe I'll start a post on who packs what - just to make me feel better :lol:
Alison

johng3165

Post by johng3165 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 am

WOW!!!! brill pics looks like you had a great time .Just makes me more anxious to get started thanks for the infor
SilverEther
Bongolier

Post by SilverEther » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Muzorewa wrote:We didn't fly to Barra, only took some photos of the planes landing & taking off. 2,300 miles in the Bongo, no idea how many miles we did on the ferries. :wink:
Thats some miles ... are you over it yet ... :wink: Where you of to next?
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Amazing pictures, we're just back from our Hebrides tour - Oban - Barra - Uist - Harris - Lewis - Skye and back to Mallaig and Fort William for a trip on the Jacobite (2500 km). It's an amazing place but we had some shocking weather :cry: Best buy was the quechua pop up base tent, stood up to some strong winds, so bad we had the roof down for three nights! :shock: Regret taking the khyam awning with us though, didn't use it once :roll: :roll: Netherless we thoroughly enjoyed wild camping in some of the most beautiful spots and there's nothing like having the beach to yourself in mid august!! :D :D
beerfinder
Bongonaut

Post by beerfinder » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Excellent Photography

Shamefully seen places I've never heard off !

Should really follow in your footsteps sometime
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:56 pm

beerfinder wrote:Excellent Photography

Shamefully seen places I've never heard off !

Should really follow in your footsteps sometime
:oops: Same here, and to think some of those places are not far from me. (as the Crow flies)
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”