Rest of the West Roll Call

Moderators: Bob, westonwarrior

ramtopgirl

Post by ramtopgirl » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:44 am

*** GREETINGS FROM THE ISLE OF PORTLAND ***

Contrary to popular belief, the place is not just a lighthouse on a rock, a place to get building stone from or just a shipping forcast area, people do actually live here! and although only 4 miles long by about a mile and a half wide, we've counted no less than EIGHT Bongos (including our own) also in residence, plus one for sale at the local car lot.

Our Bongo is a real hard worker and in the couple of years we've had him I think he's just about defined the words Multi Purpose Vehicle. He's used as an everyday domestic runabout, a mini-bus for extended family outings, take his rear seats out and I have a van when needed for my business, still minus seats, he's been a removal van when a friend moved house, he's been a camper van a few times but now due to advancing age and wussiness (us not him) he tows a caravan. He's even played the role of mobile floral workshop as I'm ocassionally commissioned to do the flowers at weddings far out of our area so rather than sit in the passenger seat doing nowt for hours on end, we take out the first set of seats, put in a small work table and I make the arrangements/bouquets up as we go along!

For several years we were Mini owners and really enjoyed going to club rallies and meets all over the UK. We're now looking forward to hopefully doing the same sort of thing with our Bongo so just give us a shout if any meet up's are arranged in addition to the usual club ones. And if you want to call them something, how about 'The BEST Of The West!!'

RAMTOPGIRL :twisted:
stulegg

mounting a kayak. . .

Post by stulegg » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Welcome stulegg. We often go to Baiter Park & watch the boats & ferries - may be see you around the town?

I'd be interested on your kayak mounting solution as we are looking at getting a couple next year.
cheers Simon. . . I'll keep my eye open for you. . .

10 foot kayak just ratchet strapped to standard roof bars, could do with some small steps really as its quite a stretch to reach being so high. . .
stulegg

Post by stulegg » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi ramtopgirl. . .

I used to work on portland (southwell, dockyard) for 7 years and still enjoy popping over on a nice day. . . interesting place. . . is the pub on the beach still there (The Cove??), used to be great to watch the sun go down on the beach with a beer. . . mmmmm. . .
ramtopgirl

Post by ramtopgirl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:20 pm

is the pub on the beach still there (The Cove??),
It sure is Stu! Can think of only a few places in this World that have a better view at sunset, and especially when there's a cold one in your hand!!

We're not regulars down there as such as work keeps me too busy for much of a social life but the Cove House is where I had my 'surpirse' 40th Birthday Do a few (good few) years back.

Anyway have a good one and will think of you next time I'm down the Cove House!!

deeps

Post by deeps » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 am

OMG.. I am sitting in Southwell Business Park (ex Southwell AUWE) writing this.

We should be getting our pimped bongo in about 3 weeks.

Ramtopgirl is yours the silver van with the 'Quicksilver' Logos?

Oh and I drive a Mini2 Cooper S day to day lol
ramtopgirl

Post by ramtopgirl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Hiya Deeps,

No the Quicksilver one is not ours (BTW that one is actually a Ford Freeda as I found out when I stopped to put a 'you've been Bongo'd card under his wiper!)

Our's is a Mazda and also a silver one, flat top and with smoked windows and a couple of little red hearts hanging from the rear view mirror. We've had ours for two years now and the guy with Quicksilver has only had this one for about a month or so and earlier this year a similar one to ours started going around in Wyke but that one has mirrored windows. Have you seen the one in Weston St that's got all the chinese writing on it?

We've had our Bongo for just over two years and there were hardly any about then but now the whole place seems to have sprouted Bongo's!! Even Dowsetts got one on his lot!

Hopefully next year we will try and get to some of the meet ups, would be great if we could get a few Bongo owners from Portlnd and Weymouth together and go in a convoy!! We'll have a caravan on the back of ours so good chance of cuppa's and poss bacon sarnis all round at rest breaks!! BTW if you intend to camp with your Bongo, we'll probably be flogging our Bongo awning now that we've got the caravan, we only used it twice last year, it was really good but for a couple of reasons we had to get a caravan instead.

Anyway great to hear from you, let us know what your Bongo's like and I'll give you a wave if we pass each other.

deeps

Post by deeps » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Still waiting for mine.. it will be an Autofreetop, silver over anthracite, black privicy glass, 18" Alloy wheels, lowered, chargespeed 'eybrow' front grill, the rear door will be completely smooth and the back lights will be custom.

lol.. shouldn't miss us :oops: although my wife will be using the bongo day to day so it probably won't be on Portland much, mostly Weymouth & Dorchester ;)
david moore

roll call

Post by david moore » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi Simon,
We live in st.ives near ringwood,we often go to baiter,do a bit of fishing there.
Maybe run into you sometime We have a black freda
Regards dave.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi David,

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm in your area. I guess you probably pass thru Salisbury now & again.
david moore

rest of the west

Post by david moore » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi Simon,
Yes we do get to Sallisbury now and then,go to a pub near old sarum something on the bridge by the river.I used to work on the camps for many years before I retired.Nice place to live.
Regards Dave
daznkim

roll call

Post by daznkim » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi guys it's daznkim we've got an 'n' reg freda low top in silver and blue flash with dark windows.
Tend to cover Yeovil to Portland and Bridport to Bournemouth see you soon and give us a wave or a flash!!!!! :D
david moore

Post by david moore » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

hi daznkim,hope to se you around,we are off to west bexington tomorow to do a bit of fishing off the beach,might see you.were in a black freda
regards Dave.
Griffalo

Post by Griffalo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi all

Add me to your list as of yesterday.

I have finally got one - it's a '97P Autofreetop in slate blue over grey. Went down to Saltash to pick it up and had a great drive back.

It will be seen doing the school run in Poole and, when I can nab it for work, all over Dorset / New Forrest - probably not that often though as my wife thinks it is so easy to drive.

Thanks to all who knowingly gave me some good advice and those who unknowingly passed on their widom via posts that were both informative and entertaining.

Cheers

Darryl
Swindon Tony

Post by Swindon Tony » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Swindon Tony...ermmm Swindon.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 am

Welcome on board Tony

Return to “Rest of the West”