Undersealing in Bristol

Moderators: Bob, westonwarrior

walty666
Bongonaut

Undersealing in Bristol

Post by walty666 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:54 am

Hi,
Looking to get my new bongo undersealed in Bristol. ADS have quoted £100 but seems a little too cheap given Rustmaster prices - bit concerned about how thoroughly it'd be done. Anybody had any experiences they care to share? Anybody know of alternatives near Bristol?
Cheers
Ross
Griffin
Bongolier

Re: Undersealing in Bristol

Post by Griffin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:37 am

I had mine done by ADS when my Bongo was being prepared after arriving from Japan a few years ago. No idea if it was a good bad or indifferent job if I am honest although I trust them and use them regularly for servicing etc (including an engine rebuild following the dreaded coolant loss issue).

The only alternative I know of that has a good reputation is Bell Hill in Norton St Philip (south of Bath), went to see those guys recently when looking for alloys and it looks very professional (although their pricing seemed a little high to me).

Might be worth a call for comparison - good luck.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Protech did mine, the Nailsea branch has since closed, but their main place in Weston super Mare is still going.

Again it's difficult to tell what the job is like 'till it either does or doesn't go rusty.

They did my MX5 too.
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Will keep these in mind when it's time to get ours done again. Not sure how good a job was done when I bought it but when I phoned ADS they explained what they did.

I thought £100 sounded ok to me but it was the only place I phoned.
danboy99
Bongonaut

Post by danboy99 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I had mine done at Avonmouth - cost more - about £175 I think but they did a fine job. Can't remember the name of the placebut I have a phone number : (0)1179 382542
Dan
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Waxoyling is a good thing to do but as said above, don't expect miracles even so. In a 15 year old Bongo rust has had plenty of opportunity to set up base camp long before the waxoyling gets done. All you can do is hope really is try and improve the overall situation regarding new stuff getting going.
walty666
Bongonaut

Post by walty666 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks folks. The guy at ADS seemed a bit dismissive regarding undersealing. When I discussed how thoroughly they'd do the work he said they would only do the underside and not inside door panels and box sections. The fella at Bell Hill reckoned he'd have all the panels off and inject into the hollow chassis members as well, which for an extra £50 seems worth it. Bell Hill use Tectyl which is supposedly tacky when dry, compared
with Shutz which I've read dries out and is prone to cracking.
The phone number above is Hallen Motors. Apparently they do work for Algys on their imports, though my boss has just imported a Bongo through them and wasn't so impressed with the undersealing...

Return to “Rest of the West”