Curtains Rails for the side windows

Moderator: Doone

Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Curtains Rails for the side windows

Post by Taddicampers » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi I have seen some curtain rails on Ebay which are supposed to be the genuine thing. As I am a fairly new Bongo owner I would appreciate some advice on hanging side curtains as although we have the blinds I would like that little extra privacy and warmth that curtains offer. Has anyne out there fitted these curtain rails and can give some advice. I am a little worried about fitting these as feel the screws used to fix could interfer with the blinds and their workings. :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Curtains Rails for the side windows

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Never heard of side curtains as you have blinds! There is track for around the front and sides of the cabin and also the rear window, but not the sides where there are blinds!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Taddicampers » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi We have been told there is a track you can buy for ther windows. Have seen some on Ebay which are supposed to be genuine. Just wanted to make the Bongo feel a little more cosy!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Is it these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-V ... 4aeb07b0c4

I've got a number of Bongo brochures showing all the optional extras and there is no mention of curtains for the side window, so I'm not totally convinced they are the real thing. There are plenty of options for front, mid and rear curtains, even electrically operated ones but no sign of any for the sides.

Even if you bought the rails on eBay, you won't have the special sliders to fit them or the curtains to hang on them.
Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Taddicampers » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi Simon

Thank you for this information. Yes the link you sent was the rails I have been watching on Ebay but I had a feeling something wasn't right about this. Glad I have checked this out on the Bongo Fury site as I really didn't want to wreck our beloved Bongo! Think my little dream of having some cosy curtains will have to be forgotten.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:05 am

Possibly fit some press studs top and bottom of the windows and 'Pop' your bespoke curtains onto them as required?

Save a ton of cash.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isabella-Pres ... 3641.l6368

Note - Bespoke = Home Made.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:46 am

Odd - these rails are the same rail type as the genuine article, but as Simon points out, there was never an option for side curtains. Only Front/Mid/Rear. I suspect that they are a set (or combination of sets) which have been re-cut / bent to suit the side windows (perhaps in error?). They should come with end caps as well, to stop the curtains sliding off the ends - and obviously they need some curtains as well!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 am

Take a look at the Silent Gliss range of rails, that's what we've used on the rear.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:02 pm

I got a very nice result with £5 of grey velvet and some net curtain wire, fixed to the old/original curtain rails. Cosy, look good, don't flap about when tailgate opened, and give excellent blackout:

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/mikeon ... 20Curtains
Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Taddicampers » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Really not sure what to do now as purchased some lovely nautical striped fabric to tone with existing interior thinking this wasn't going to be a difficult project. Appreciate Bongo has side electric blinds but liked the idea of some curtains to add a bi t more privacy. (Silhouettes can be seen through blinds we have noticed) and make it feel more 'homely'. Maybe have to sell material and forget the idea!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm

You can re-upholster the blinds in blackout material which means it stays dark inside on light mornings, and the silhouettes can't be seen.

Click the drawing of the material below for the full album, also shows how to remove the blinds (for cleaning, but replacement is the same)
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Taddicampers wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. Really not sure what to do now as purchased some lovely nautical striped fabric to tone with existing interior thinking this wasn't going to be a difficult project. Appreciate Bongo has side electric blinds but liked the idea of some curtains to add a bi t more privacy. (Silhouettes can be seen through blinds we have noticed) and make it feel more 'homely'. Maybe have to sell material and forget the idea!
You can still do it, but just buy the track (which you can cut to length & bend to fit) & get the matching sliders / runners.

This is an example of the track but you wont need over 11 metres of the stuff:

http://www.justkampers.com/jk-plastic-c ... stops.html
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Simon Jones wrote:
Taddicampers wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. Really not sure what to do now as purchased some lovely nautical striped fabric to tone with existing interior thinking this wasn't going to be a difficult project. Appreciate Bongo has side electric blinds but liked the idea of some curtains to add a bi t more privacy. (Silhouettes can be seen through blinds we have noticed) and make it feel more 'homely'. Maybe have to sell material and forget the idea!
You can still do it, but just buy the track (which you can cut to length & bend to fit) & get the matching sliders / runners.

This is an example of the track but you wont need over 11 metres of the stuff:

http://www.justkampers.com/jk-plastic-c ... stops.html
Indeed, and the reviews are a bit mixed for the justkampers product. One reviewer suggested metal tracks would be better (and all thought better quality hooks were needed). I wonder if a suitable metal option could be sourced? Nice thing about the net curtain option (apart from cheapness and simplicity) is the 'rail' is threaded through the sewn material, so there's nothing complicated to make (as with curtain hooks). They look nice when gathered and tied too and because the top and bottom 'rails' are elastic, the curtains can be a taut fit, keeping things neat and less likely to snag on things.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:59 pm

The other good thing about the net curtain springy thing is that it doesn't rattle over bumps. I've got the Mazda front curtains and the sliders can rattle / jingle in the tracks as you're driving along.

You can get aluminium tracks & they could carefully be bent to shape as the ones in the ebay link are.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Simon Jones wrote:The other good thing about the net curtain springy thing is that it doesn't rattle over bumps. I've got the Mazda front curtains and the sliders can rattle / jingle in the tracks as you're driving along.

You can get aluminium tracks & they could carefully be bent to shape as the ones in the ebay link are.
Good point about jingling. I certainly was pleasantly surprised at how they looked and worked for such a cheap and quick option. You'd probably need the curtains to be in two sections on each side, one for each window, with the 'rail' supported at mid point. And the section for the sliding door would present an interesting design challenge (though maybe it would whatever kind of rail you decided to go for?)

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”