VISITING THE SOUTH WEST! Where to go, what to do!

Moderator: Doone

Doone
Supreme Being

Re: VISITING THE SOUTH WEST! Where to go, what to do!

Post by Doone » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 pm

:D If you go to somewhere nice that's not on the list, please add it. :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
ex25er

Post by ex25er » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:31 pm

........ but if we do they might come..... :shock: :shock: .....

ok, just a couple then...

Bantham is a great beach, especially at low tide.... can get busy

Bigbury, over the river from Bantham, is beautiful. Can be 'cosy' though!

Wonwell on the Erme estuary. Worth the trek and the parking hassles any day of the week. Wave to the hoards of Janners who can't make it past Mothecombe, from the quiet side of the river!! :lol:

Karrageen camp site in Bolberry. Quiet, relaxed, friendly, good food available to order should you be feeling lazy. Short stroll (ahem...) to Hope Cove.

In the 'dark lands', Pentewen Sands (camp site) has an amazing location. Never been when it's been truly rammed mind you... Also handy for visiting places like Megavissey - nice harbour, The Lost Gardens of Helligan - nice plants, and the Eden Project - nice greenhouses.

Sennen Cove is a great beach, as is Gwithian and loads of others that you'll just hav to find!

Gwithian Farm - Friendly, small family site.

Back into civilisation, Saunton Sands is a great beach... where you can always get away from people if you want. It's big.

Finally, we used to jump in the van on a Friday evening and spend the weekend at a site called Carbeil. A really nice, small site, pool, beach nearby...... then we just stopped. If you're curious google it and see if you can guess why :lol: :lol: It ain't pretty! (clue: it isn't just because they brought in a load of statics!)

Finally, please don't visit any of the above places. I lied about them all and they're really all rubbish :wink:

Phil
soonski

Post by soonski » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I am into campsite's that are bit wild and allow campfires etc. I may not be in a tent but still like the idea of enjoying the wildish aspect! All of these sites I have found on the http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk a very good resource, you can even search by ones that do allow campfires and areas.

Went to a few campsites recently that fit this bill nicely, I wont bother giving you the in's an outs' just check out the links below suffice to say I thought they were really cool sites.

You can have fires on all of them. Cloud Farm has a VERY well stocked shop for everything you want, and is in a stunning valley. Stoke Barton farm has the biggest Scones you can imagine and right on the edge of Hartland. South Penquite Farm is an Organic farm in a beautiful setting where you can buy their own sausages and burgers and have good solar shower's. No pools, bars or hard standings in site!

http://www.doonevalleyholidays.co.uk/pages/camping.html (Cloud Farm)

http://www.westcountry-camping.co.uk/ (Stoke Barton Farm)

http://www.southpenquite.co.uk/ (South Penquite Farm!)

:D
gingeback

Post by gingeback » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi, before going to cornwall with a dog go onto this link:

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/north-coast.php

it will guide you through the beaches, with maps and will also inform you if it allows dogs or not.

I live in perranporth, very dog friendly here, and the 'wateringhole' (the pub on the beach) is my favourite pub for the views, you can have a drink and watch the kids. very pricy though, food and drink, but it is worth it..parking is a nightmare, if you can't fit in the one facing the beach there is another around the back of the main street, get there early if you are going..
Benny24

Post by Benny24 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:40 am

We are regulars to the Mawgan Porth area, in between Watergate Bay and Bedruthan Steps. The beach is dog friendly, big beach (huge when the tide's out!!) good surf, great food at the dog friendly Merrymoor Inn, cracking carvery!

We stay at the Marver or Magic Cove campsites (again pooch priendly!) which is a flat 100 yards walk from the beach. Magic Cove gets booked up very fast in the summer (open April-end Sep) but Marver open all year. We are parking the puck up for 10 days from 18th Sep, kettle on if you're passing!

We also like to trundle off to Padstow for a bit of Fish and chips! :wink:

Benny
hatris
Tribal Elder

Post by hatris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi we are visiting cornwall for the first time. We loved this thread, well done, very informative. We have booked farm accommadation for a week to meet up with family. We were thinking though, we might tour a bit in the bongo also, extend the time we spend in the area and get to see more. Are many sites open during November? Preferably not waterlogged and a heated shower block can be nice. We aren't too fussy, just the two of us. Our bongo is blue over silver give us a wave if you see us. So looking forward to this. We would be grateful for any advice on best way to tour and see the area. Thanks Trish
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Hello Trish. I've done a search and found this link, which lists sites open all year round. It splits Cornwall into east or west Cornwall, so you can narrow it down. Personally, I love the north Cornwall coastline, which is even more spectacular when it's blowing a gale. :) Campsites open all year. I expect someone will be along to make a personal recommendation also. :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
hatris
Tribal Elder

Post by hatris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Thank you Doone, gives me a place to start. If the weather looks okay we may head down this wednesday. We have a farm wing booked for Monday 10th near to Looe for seven nights. I apoligise if I have spelt any of your place names wrong. Very excited now. Trish
BONGO-LOUIS

Post by BONGO-LOUIS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:14 am

hatris wrote:Thank you Doone, gives me a place to start. If the weather looks okay we may head down this wednesday. We have a farm wing booked for Monday 10th near to Looe for seven nights. I apoligise if I have spelt any of your place names wrong. Very excited now. Trish
Hya Trish you are gonna love looe me and gary spend many a weekend their just chilling.... shame your not down this way 29th we are having a meet at chew valley....but hopefully will meet up with you on the 21st at Jetskiers fancydress thats if your their... if not will meet up next year im sure... have a great time down this way you will be made very welcome im sure take loads of piccies..

Gary & Tina and little louis says hi
hatris
Tribal Elder

Post by hatris » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:29 am

Hi Gary and Tina, thanks for that. We are watching your meet and it is still in the maybe stage. You always make the effort to come up north, always such good fun, so it will only be fair to make a similar effort. You have generated loads of interest though. We are really excited about this trip, usually only do weekends. Hoping to be at Jetskiers for the Saturday night, in uniform of course. See you both soon. Hi to little Louis, Harry and Trish
hatris
Tribal Elder

Post by hatris » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi we just got home tonight after a lovely fortnight in Cornwall. Would like to thank Doone for her invaluable help with campsites. We would particularly reccommend Budemeadows and Carnon Downs. The facilities were excellent. Thanks to anyone in a bongo who waved at us. Harry and Trish
bongomike

going camping in Cornwall, anyone recommend a good site

Post by bongomike » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey Cornish Bongo Buds. Camping in Cornwall for a week maybe two (if I could persuade the wife to camp for longer). Can anyone recommend a great campsite? We have a 3 year old boy some something suitable for him really.

thanks in advance
Michael
marc&jane

Re: going camping in Cornwall, anyone recommend a good site

Post by marc&jane » Mon May 11, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi Michael,

http://www.churchtownfarm.org.uk

We havn't stayed on this site but it has been recomended to me by a mate at work. I know the general area pretty well and if the weather is good you probabaly wouldn't wish to be anywhere else. Without wishing to sound like a member of staff from the local tourist office - there are miles of sandy beaches, great places to explore like St Ives, Lands End and Falmouth all within an approx 20 mile radius.

No doubt others will post alternatives as there are literally hundreds of options. Good luck and if you do end coming to Cornwall I'm sure you will have a great time.

Marc
bongomike

Post by bongomike » Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 am

thanks for this Marc, i will check it out, has anyone else got any????? [-o<
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue May 12, 2009 9:47 am

bongomike wrote:thanks for this Marc, i will check it out, has anyone else got any????? [-o<
Depends what you want?
This place
http://www.crinniscamping.co.uk/
is not in a particularly scenic area (it lies between Par and St Austell) but is handy for Par Market (if you like that sort of thing) is reasonably safe and quiet and has (what looks like - didn't try it myself) a nice play area for children.
It is reasonably priced, all pitches are level and have leccy, the facilities are quite acceptable and kept very clean and tidy.
I think a bus route runs past the site (certainly runs nearby) so you wouldn't need to keep packing up to go out and it says you can walk to the beach near Carlyon Bay.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=16&c ... 18|PL242SQ| Ignore the circle on the map on the site it's based on the postcode - not site location.

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”