VISITING THE SOUTH WEST! Where to go, what to do!

Moderator: Doone

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Re: going camping in Cornwall, anyone recommend a good site

Post by Alison01326 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Afraid I can't actually recommend anywhere as I have never camped locally, but will be doing so this year and here's my shortlist, based on the fact that I've heard good things about them and they look good on the website!!!
  • Old MacDonald's Farm, Porthcothan, between Padstow and Newquay.http://www.oldmacdonalds.co.uk/ Farm attraction with campsite. Near some fantastic beaches and coastline generally but it's north coast and the waves might be a bit offputting for a 3 year old! The beaches won't be though, especially at low tide. We will be going here on 4th July for a night or two (three Mums, three three year olds, and a nearly-one year old) so will review after that.

Parbola, near Hayle. http://www.parbola.co.uk/ Inland so you will have to drive everywhere but near St Ives, near Hayle's great beaches and generally quite central for most of the western end of Cornwall. Also near Paradise Park which is a firm favourite with the boy and his mates http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/

Sea View International, Gorran, near Mevagissey.http://www.seaviewinternational.com/ Gorran is a bit out on a limb if you want to do lots of touring around Cornwall but if you are pretty much staying put it's a lovely area, with some excellent beaches and being south coast it's flatter water so great for paddling and rockpooling.
Scanner mentioned East Crinnis and Par Market - next to Par Market is a massive indoor soft play, etc, place which used to be called Ben's Playworld (and probably always will be if you're local) and is now called Kidzworld http://www.kidzworlduk.co.uk

If you need any more info on how to keep a 3 year old boy occupied in Cornwall (particularly if it's raining) PM me because I've got one, and I will let you know what we get up to in this part of the county. It's my intention in due course to put a general post up on low cost and free activities for kids in Cornwall although I might need a bit of help with the eastern and northern side as news of local events doesn't travel very far in this part of the world. Actually, news doesn't travel across Cornwall very well at all :(
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue May 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Alison01326 wrote: Actually, news doesn't travel across Cornwall very well at all :(

It will improve when you get the internet down there..................
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 pm

scanner wrote:
Alison01326 wrote: Actually, news doesn't travel across Cornwall very well at all :(

Can't wait. Would we need electricity to operate it?
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue May 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
scanner wrote:

Can't wait. Would we need electricity to operate it?
'fraid so :wink:

You might be able to plug into the wires Mr Marconi left by the beach at Poldhu.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 pm

scanner wrote:You might be able to plug into the wires Mr Marconi left by the beach at Poldhu.
Think I will just stick with this manual typewriter for the moment.
Alison

kelv

Post by kelv » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm

http://www.beachside.co.uk/

Pool, clubhouse epitches well marked out.
Stayed there myself for a few weeks on various years.
Campsites are all personal preference though, what I like you may not.
Have fun :D
bongomike

Post by bongomike » Tue May 12, 2009 7:24 pm

that's great thanks guys and gals, plenty of ideas, you have been a great help
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 pm

In case you missed it, there are also several ideas here.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
richwill
Bongonaut

Post by richwill » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 am

We have stayed at old macdonalds farm for the past 3 years our two boys love it. They enjoy feeding the animals with Farmer John. There is plenty to entertain young ones and the admission to the farm is included in the camping price. There are limited electric hook ups though. we are staying there again at the end of the month.
cabte
Supreme Being

camping after the Looe bash.

Post by cabte » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Im thinking of goring to cornwall for 10 days straight after the Bash.
Any one know of any cheap campsites.
We will of course be staying at trevedra in sennen, but would like to try some other places.
Jolly Rogers

Re: camping after the bash.

Post by Jolly Rogers » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Try Henrys campsite on the Lizard that's really nice and fantastic views out to sea.

Really nice people run it.

http://www.henryscampsite.co.uk/
tophatter

Bideford/Appledore campsite recommendation

Post by tophatter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello All
We’re visiting North Devon in mid July, can anyone give us a recommendation for a good campsite as close to the Bideford & Appledore area as possible. I’ve had a look on ukcampsite, but we’d prefer your local knowledge of the area.
Thanks
DRLee
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Bideford/Appledore campsite recommendation

Post by DRLee » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Wrong side of the Taw / Torridge estuary, but I can recommend the Damage Barton site near Mortehoe
tophatter

Post by tophatter » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply, we're going to go to Steart Farm Touring Park, just hope it's ok, looks alright.
TrickeyDicky

Post by TrickeyDicky » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 pm

I was going to suggest Braddicks in Westward Ho! where you can see the sea and walk to the chip shop. Steart Pk is nearer Appledore so u have to drive to the shops (still nice tho). Enjoy ur stay! :D

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”