The NUFBUS

Moderator: francophile1947

Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi mobilecat, you are so nice about our Bong. Compared to most it's a bit plain and no frills, but we love it!
The awning is a Traveller 3 bus tent, whatever that means. Basically like an old fashioned frame tent that fits to the gutter with figure of 8 strips. Easy to put up and nice and bright inside.
See you at the Bash.
Pete & Sue.
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:45 pm

My goodness are you joking. You nufbus isn't plain - its amazing. It has everything I would want in a conversion but aren't allowed to spend the money on. Our conversion will be a much more modest affair but given the choice I would buy one just like yours any day. It is perfectly suited to yourt needs (and ours) and does exactly what it says on the tin - the whole poinbt of the perfect conversion.

By the way - is 'Traveller' the brand or is it a different brand. Have you had it a while and do you have any idea where it came from?
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:36 pm

The awning is the Royal Traveller 3 (bus tent). I have found 3 suppliers.

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/royal/awning.htm

http://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk/cart ... ring/false

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acata ... s_248.html

I think that this type of awning is going out of fashion but it does a good job; the tunnel style is more modern, also the khyam type. We had a Khyam but did not like it at all.

Good luck in your search for bits and pieces for your Bongo.

Pete.
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:47 pm

Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:43 pm

You are starts. It may be old fashioned but it is far more to my taste. I can put up my 4 man frame tent easily but the hoopy loopy tunnel awning had me in a pickle and I would never be able to do it myself :)
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:53 pm

The traveller is quite easy for one person to erect, just don't rush it.
Pete.
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:56 pm

Like you MC, I really like the look of Pete & Sue's side awning. Looks like a proper room, good size and windows. Not a bad price either.

Is it quite a bulky item to carry compared to some of the other ones?
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:58 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Like you MC, I really like the look of Pete & Sue's side awning. Looks like a proper room, good size and windows. Not a bad price either.

Is it quite a bulky item to carry compared to some of the other ones?
I reckon the one I have gt is pretty enourmous ooh oer)
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:06 am

The Traveller 3 is heavier than the Khyam but the Bong can take it!
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 am

Because so much of our camping was in the rain last year we bought a Hippo Bag from B & Q. This is used to carry the wet awning in the car so that we get home without everything else getting soaked from the water running off the awning and swamping the interior of the Bong!

It saved us a load of hassle.
Pete.
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:00 am

What a good idea P&S. I ask the question about bulk because mobilecat will probably have more other stuff, and and their son, to carry around to camp so space may be at a bit more of a premium, whereas I suspect you travel U2, set up camp, and only then start putting family in the Bongo for days out etc.

But I like your awning very much. Its much more like a home away from home than many of them. I'll probably be up for one like that one day 8)
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Mobilecat, why not get a trailer? You could then put all the bulky bits in that and everyone would be comfortable in the Bongo.
I've been tempted to do that or perhaps get one of those small two berth trailer-tents so that the grandkids can be comfy; if they ever come camping with us or we're not too old by then!
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:What a good idea P&S. I ask the question about bulk because mobilecat will probably have more other stuff, and and their son, to carry around to camp so space may be at a bit more of a premium, whereas I suspect you travel U2, set up camp, and only then start putting family in the Bongo for days out etc.

But I like your awning very much. Its much more like a home away from home than many of them. I'll probably be up for one like that one day 8)
No we dont need that much stuff at all. When converted we intend to take very little and most things will be stowed away anyway. As long as it fits in the boot or under a seat or in the middle space then its fine. We only have one child for travelling with and he is only little:)
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Pete & Sue wrote:Mobilecat, why not get a trailer? You could then put all the bulky bits in that and everyone would be comfortable in the Bongo.
I've been tempted to do that or perhaps get one of those small two berth trailer-tents so that the grandkids can be comfy; if they ever come camping with us or we're not too old by then!
Gosh no - we dont need one at all - and I have laways had a phobie re towing :)

We have plenty of space for an awning - whatever the size. We will only have it in the van for travelling so its no problem. Once we arrive - out it will come.

I am working on a current awning swap - watch this space. We may need some logistical help for the length of the country :)
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:04 pm

mobilecat, can you please use your 'spull chuker' on the computer, I didn't get the meaning of the last bit of that post! :? :?
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!

Return to “London, Kent & Sussex”