Newbie advice for a well loved Bongo called 'Um'

Moderator: francophile1947

Red
Apprentice Bongonaut

Newbie advice for a well loved Bongo called 'Um'

Post by Red » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello there,
I am a newbie/proud owner of a Mazda Bongo 2.5 turbo diesel, automatic '96 that has come to needing to pass its MOT and unfortunately has failed. I am also relatively new to owning vehicles as I've been driving for two years now and am also a newbie to forum sites, having stayed away for fear of online disputes, can I say it's been wonderful reading through comments on BongoFury, a community being built through shared interests and people genuinely wanting to help and share knowledge, I hope to gain enough knowledge and experience to be able to offer other Bongo newbies the same guidance, one day!
For now I would please ask for some advice..
MOT failures;
Fuel leak (previous MOT slip suggests split pipe)
Dented fuel tank, due to fuel being present hard to ascertain damage extent
Front drivers side suspension gaitor/rubber guard is split
Fuel filter cap, thread has lost grip
Power steering leak
20p sized hole in sill closest to back wheel/suspension

I realise it may seem like a lot, but I am determined to stay positive and not give up, so..
I believe the things any garage can do are;
Weld the hole in the sill
Find the fuel/power steering leak
Fit a suspension gaitor
I myself am a hands on person, carpenter/Sfax by trade
I believe I can fit a new fuel filter cap, not sure about the tank! I'm also more than capable of fibreglass in new arches
I guess my questions are;
the fuel filter - when you buy the cylinder, I believe it doesn't come with a cap? How do I purchase the cap?
Any advice on the dented tank, prepared to remove, clean and is tapping out possible!?
What is the gaitor I'm looking for, I can't source it by the word gaitor..?
and the age old question...can anybody recommend a garage in South East area? I have had a look at the database
MOT how and where am I legally allowed to drive to fix my vehicle, so ambiguous online..
I'm unsure of how to proceed, do I source and purchase the parts and then speak to a garage or do I approach the right garage and they order the parts?
Any advice welcome and thank you in advance, especially if you made it to the end of this lengthily post!
Much obliged,
Red
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie advice for a well loved Bongo called 'Um'

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi Welcome aboard!
I think all of those problems, other than a stripped thread on the cap, are all well known on the forum ;-)
Which is your nearest town, the SE is quite a large area and not that many well recognised Bongo aware garages, although the main thing with Diesel's is the cooling system and bleeding the air out if the garage needs to play with the cooling system at all.
There are garages with a good reputation in Brighton, Worthing that I'm aware of and in the database I believe https://igmaynard.co.uk/member-area/mem ... #databases
The on-line mechanical diagrams has all the genuine part numbers http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2
also there are several Bongo shops fr spares starting with Bongoland above top right!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Red
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Red » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi, thank you for a speedy and helpful response i will check out the links you've added right away..
I'm currently in Essex, have been living in Bristol, but came back to visit my folks when I discovered the MOT
commonly and stupidly had it in my head that I had another month on the MOT date
Am I correct in thinking fuel filters don't come with the cap?
What would your advice on the chicken and the egg question - order parts and seek garage or seek garage to order parts!?
Thanks again in advance, a relief to not feel alone in solving issues
Red
Red
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Red » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Debating phoning the police helpline to ask on laws around driving without MOT to either a booked MOT or garage, but not wanting to shoot myself in the tyre 🙂
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:37 pm

I tend to give my garage the contact numbers for parts, then they obtain and fit and can't then say it was the part that was faulty as they obtained it and fitted it. Whilst there have been reports in the past of garages saying yes will fit your parts but no warranty! Having said that my garage has never given me any problems anyway and have actually called me for suggested parts places for Bongo's as they know I am aware of the locations and likely availability!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am

Duplicate post see this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76349
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.

Return to “London, Kent & Sussex”