MOT jobs :(

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

MOT jobs :(

Post by sotal » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Not horrendous on the MOT a few easy bits.

The one major one is the ball joint closest to the wheel on the drivers side wishbone.

The tester has said it just needs the ball joint pressing in. The rest is ok.

I'm going to take the wishbone off when I'm not in danger of my fingers freezing off.

Is it possible as DIY or do I need to take the wishbone back to them to replace the ball joint?

Any tips?
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: MOT jobs :(

Post by sotal » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:21 pm

I'm trying to remember where I jacked / put able stands when I last replaced the wishbones.

I'm struggling to recall! I want to spend the last amount of time out there needing around given the cold weather. It is that cold I'm having to just to bits at a time. So jacking the car up and putting on the axle stands will be the first job, then back in for a warm!

I've got a 3T Jack and a pair of axle stands at the ready.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pm

Check the overall condition of the wishbone before going to the effort of swapping just the ball joint, they can rust through from the inside, they look ok but can break, also the inner bushes may need a refresh, blue print brand are good value and quality.
Less faf.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pm Check the overall condition of the wishbone before going to the effort of swapping just the ball joint, they can rust through from the inside, they look ok but can break, also the inner bushes may need a refresh, blue print brand are good value and quality.
Less faf.
I found that mx5 parts were selling genuine Mazda wishbones for £120 delivered, so I've ordered one of those. Will save me having to run about dropping off and collecting the wishbone and I've no idea what the garage will charge for swapping the joint out.

The tester has said that he thought the old one would be ok, but it just isn't worth the hassle.

Can you remind me of the best way to Jack and support that corner as I can't remember what I did last time!

Thanks
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 pm

Haha, I had been through that.

It is half the reason I post on here. It keeps a record of what I did and when and sometimes reminds me what to do 😂

It's up in the air and the wheel is off.

The bolt and nut are undone and removed.
The castellated nut is undone.
The new wishbone is in the post due in the next day or so.

I'm now just stuck actually getting the wishbone to drop out off the hub. Completely seized in at the moment.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 pm

A good crack with a stout hammer on the swivel where the ball joint goes through should make it drop out.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 pm A good crack with a stout hammer on the swivel where the ball joint goes through should make it drop out.
Should been the operative word. I had this issue last time. I'm giving it as good a blow as I can although swing is limited given the space.
I've tried your suggestions from last time too (scissor jack between driveshaft and wishbone to add some pressure)

Will have another go tonight but it will be dark :(

I've also tried lifting the disc a little with a jack under but that hasn't helped either.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Ball joint splitter in from the side, a couple of whacks with the hammer, job done.

It still didn't drop out even at that once it was half way down the splitter wouldn't do anything else but a few whacks to the wishbone got it moving.

I expected the inside of the hole to be all rusty but it was nice shiny metal.

New wishbone fitted loosely just waiting for the but to arrive now (it just has the cotter pin holding it in place at the moment) will pop the nut on, then drop it to the ground for the final tightening.

Fog light nearly finished, and wipers replaced, so only the rear brakes left to do which have arrived. Fingers crossed that goes smoothly!

Return to “Techie Stuff”