Charging light fault

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

penfold835
Apprentice Bongonaut

Charging light fault

Post by penfold835 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Due to various reasons my Bongo wasn't used for a long period and subsequently the battery was flat. The battery would not charge and was replaced but since fitting the battery not charging light has appeared on the dashboard indicating an alternator fault, however although the battery was recommended by the car spares website for my registration number it is only a 70a battery not 90a as recommended as a minimum on your site. Could this be causing the problem or am i still looking at an alternator issue. Also I have 2 batteries fitted how do i know if one is a leisure battery?
Many thanks
Niknak West Midlands
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Charging light fault

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:11 pm

No the original specifications only called for a smaller battery, but in the UK we tend to put a slightly larger one so normally a 90 AH rating is fine.

Given the above the Japanese also fitted a second starter battery for the Cold Start option required in Northern Japan (-40℃) so first make sure that the second battery is a Leisure Battery (LB) and not a dual SB! If it has a large +ve terminal connector with the cable running in a convoluted tube across the top of the air con air intake then its a dual cold start battery - BE AWARE - the +ve terminal will be LIVE to both batteries under ALL conditions so if its disconnected it needs to be well insulated so that under no circumstances can it short to the chassis!!!!
ColdClimateBatteries.jpg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Just as Geoff says…

If you have the 'Cold Start' dual batteries you will have a switch with an engine logo down by your right knee somewhere to activate the system.

Warm welcome to the Forum. :)
penfold835
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by penfold835 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, the picture has helped i know now that the second is a leisure battery. i think i need to test the system to see if the charging light problem is an alternator problem. i would like to be sure as i can before laying out the expense of a replacement alternator. this problem has only occured since fitting the 70ah battery. Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:31 pm

Yes the charging lamp circuit is a very simple switch within the alternator most problems can be fairly cheaply resolved bu getting a local firm to refurbish the alternator rather than replacing with a new one, if its an original good chance that the bearings are quite worn as well.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:04 am

Bob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:46 pm Just as Geoff says…

If you have the 'Cold Start' dual batteries you will have a switch with an engine logo down by your right knee somewhere to activate the system.

Warm welcome to the Forum. :)
So say if I ran down the starter battery for whatever reason, would switching this on let me start it using the second battery?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:11 am

NO! The two batteries are in parallel all the time, the switch merely causes the vacuum system to close a valve in the exhaust forcing hot exhaust aback around the engine. In the UK there is a good chance the valve has rusted and will jam in the closed position causing you sever grief!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:20 am

Ah right, I was thinking I could've saved myself some grief looking for someone to jump start it earlier this year :lol:

That reminds me, maybe I'll get a deal on one of those rechargeable booster packs for black Friday

Return to “Techie Stuff”