ATF Fluid level

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

ATF Fluid level

Post by sotal » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:00 pm

I know it has taken me ages but I'm now at the point of finishing off the jobs on the bongo and getting it MOT'd.

I need to get the level of the ATF sorted in the gearbox.

I'd read up first and read that it needs to be in P with the handbrake on. Start the engine and get the level between the L and F marks.

I put 500ml in, when I pull the dipstick out there is a light smear of red up the stick well past the full mark. But I take it that isn't the level. There is no obvious marks on the area between L and F just the same smear.

When checking it without the engine running it shows as a clear line across near the F mark.

Does that all sound correct, and I just need to add a bit more? Until I get a good definite line across?

Then take it for a test drive and then check again?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: ATF Fluid level

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Pretty sure it needs to be up to temp, cycle the selector a few times, then check with engine running.

It is tricky.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:48 pm

You do get a lot of splashing, so need to dip fast and several times to see an actual level, its because its being pumped around the torque convertor and the system. If not being pumped then the TC drains and gives a false level.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Brilliant, I've got a bit more fluid, will go and have another go. Will probably be beneficial to do it in the light too!

Thanks
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:15 pm

sotal wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:19 pm Brilliant, I've got a bit more fluid, will go and have another go. Will probably be beneficial to do it in the light too!

Thanks
And with your glasses on!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:01 pm

I think I've got it now, it took more than I thought it would, so I'd only got 1L of Dexron III. I used all that and thought it would have got there.

I had to get another litre today and used nearly half of that. I got to the point where it was about the quarters up the the area between L and F. Then took it for a short drive. It then showed as just above. I then moved the car and it looked spot on the F. All measurements are with it looking flat.

So hopefully it is close enough, great changes all work well.

It's now starting to look like a bongo again on the inside.

Glow plug light was flashing which disheartened me a little until I noticed that I hadn't plugged the temperature sensor back in on the console, that seemed to sort that. Just got to put the under tray back on (left it off to check for any drips). Then get it MOT'd.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:18 pm

All going the right way.

Well done. :)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:23 pm

It's been one job after another Which is probably why it has taken so long.

I think I need a new battery now too. :roll:

Getting there though now, fingers crossed the MOT is ok this time!

I was trying to work out how many years we've had the bongo now, and I was falling to remember!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Just done a search on here for my first posts. Looks like we bought it May/June 2015, so about six and half years of ownership now.

Return to “Techie Stuff”