Maintenance on Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JF117
Bongonaut

Maintenance on Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Post by JF117 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi there!

Looking for a bit of advice on some parts!

Rear Drop Links
Rear Antiroll Bar Bushes
Passenger Side Front Inner Steering Boot
Rocker Cover Gasket Seal
Power Steering Rack Repair Seal Kit
Front Shocks (Both Sides)
Rear Shocks (Pair)

I've priced both through Bongo Fury and MazdaBongo.com and am coming through (with discount) at 450£ (BongoFury) and 550£ (MazdaBongo.com) with a combined from both sites (500£).

However, what I wanted to know was whether all the parts on Bongo Fury are genuine parts? That was what had encouraged me to purchase from MazdaBongo over BongoFury but I wanted to make sure I got a second opinion.

Obviously I stand to save between 50-100£ via BongoFury with my discount etc. However, I noticed that when genuine, the item / part desc. specifically mentions this - so does that mean, conversely, if it does not specify this, it is not genuine?

More specifically, MazdaBongo.com had Genuine front shocks whereas BongoFury has 'Innovo' shocks? What's the difference - do Innovo shocks = genuine shocks or are they aftermarket parts?

The price differences aren't that major and essentially, where genuine parts were available, I was just going to purchase genuine.

Also, if you have any other advice in terms of the job at hand, like - if you're doing this, make sure you do that also etc - please feel free to add that too!

Thanks!
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Maintenance on Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Post by Ian » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 am

You are correct about genuine Mazda parts on the Bongland (club) website. Unless specifically mentioned the parts are an after-market brand. The same probably on the Mazdabongo.com website. Not that it makes a lot of difference in our opinion.

On the shock absorbers Lenovo is an after-market brand, but the photos are old ones. A different after-market brand is stocked these days, AJS I think.

Something else to note. Bongoland prices include postage. At Mazda Bongo postage added at checkout.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Ian wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 am You are correct about genuine Mazda parts on the Bongland (club) website. Unless specifically mentioned the parts are an after-market brand. The same probably on the Mazdabongo.com website. Not that it makes a lot of difference in our opinion.

On the shock absorbers Lenovo is an after-market brand, but the photos are old ones. A different after-market brand is stocked these days, AJS I think.

Something else to note. Bongoland prices include postage. At Mazda Bongo postage added at checkout.
Thanks for the info - got my parts ordered up, a mixture from both sites.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:22 am

The rocker cover gasket could well not be required…..oil around the drivers side front of engine is normally caused by the egr……it’s there on most diesels.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:33 pm

haydn callow wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:22 am The rocker cover gasket could well not be required…..oil around the drivers side front of engine is normally caused by the egr……it’s there on most diesels.
I'll be sure to mention that to my Mech but he was adamant it needed tended to and it's an inexpensive part anyway but, given this tip, if the labour can be avoided then great.

Thanks!
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 am

JF117 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:33 pm
haydn callow wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:22 am The rocker cover gasket could well not be required…..oil around the drivers side front of engine is normally caused by the egr……it’s there on most diesels.
I'll be sure to mention that to my Mech but he was adamant it needed tended to and it's an inexpensive part anyway but, given this tip, if the labour can be avoided then great.

Thanks!
Got it all cleared up in the end!

Rocker cover gasket was needed as were the seals for the steering column.

Return to “Techie Stuff”