2l Oily Residue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mike
Apprentice Bongonaut

2l Oily Residue

Post by mike » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Another novice question for all of the great folks on here. I noticed quite a bit of residue around the engine. Oil level is normal. I did have to add a bit of coolant recently. Is this normal? Am I doomed? Suggestions? Thanks

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2l Oily Residue

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Small, infrequent top ups of coolant is normal its a sealed system really so shouldn't loose a lot at all but there might be a little weeping from things like coolant pump.

As to slightly oily engines that's not uncommon again so long as your not needing to top up on a regular basis its probably about normal!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Looks like the rocker cover gasket is due for replacing. Don't be tempted to nip up the bolts a tad to solve it as they are set to a specific torque setting, the gasket heats up and age harden so replace is the best option.
It's normal at this time of year to top up your bongo coolant system as the relaxed cold coolant mass and temps are now lower so it's normal for half a cup at this time of year.
mike
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 am

Thanks for the replies, this van has been providing never ending possibiities to learn some new things!

Return to “Techie Stuff”