Paying the right price?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Brett_Sinclair
Junior Bongonaut

Paying the right price?

Post by Brett_Sinclair » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi all

This is my first post so apologies if this is the wrong forum etc...

We have been camping under canvas for years but now are seriously tempted to upgrade to a campervan but I am a bit baffled by the prices out there, they seem to vary a lot! I am wondering how much covid has affected the prices but I can't work out how to check the pre covid prices? If the prices are a bit high at the moment then I could stick with the tent for a bit until they calm down?

Just for the sake of simplicity if I was looking at something like a Diesel, 2000 Bongo with 80,000 miles, full side conversion without major rust problems, at the moment this might cost something like £14k from a dealer

It probably a "how long is a piece of string" type of question but I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on what this might have been selling for 2 years ago or how much I should be realistically budgeting for something like that?

Thanks everyone
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Paying the right price?

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:00 pm

There really isn't a "right" price, the vans are all now getting quite old, have a wide variety of conversions and come in various states of repair!!
There has certainly been a Covid price rise as people looked for suitable vehicles over the Summer period, but I think we have already seen signs of that decreasing - around October-December is usually lowest prices - but a lot of that might be down to people who have made bad buying decisions on badly rusted vehicles which had been sold on previously during the worst of the Covid period without people knowing what to look for! I suspect its quite possible that prices will again rise pre-Spring next year and continue at a higher price during the summer.

There are still freshly imported vehicles coming into the country it seems and these ought to have the highest base prices attached, and then the costs of any conversion that you might require.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Just my gut feeling, but I suspect prices will drop at the end of next summer once people are fed up camping in the rain, sell up, and book abroad.

Not financial advice, just a feeling in me bones. :wink:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 pm

My experience is that the camper van world seems to have preempted the huge price rises in 2nd hand vehicles. Look at the prices for 2nd hand cars and motorcycles now; they are astronomical with many having witnessed 30-40% price rises of late.

The camper van world pre covid had strong prices for decent examples of camper vans when I started looking 4-5 years ago I could not believe how much vans were selling for (or for the unsuspecting rusty knackered heaps tarted up to sell at crazy prices) and I think the camper van world will continue to have strong prices as people will continue to want to experience van life, versatile motoring and 'freedom' paying a premium to do so; look at the price of a new VW Ocean or alike £40-60K!! Makes a decent privately purchased Bongo for £8-10K a sound buy! The time of year has an impact on prices for sure but not as big as you would imagine.

As an indication of rising prices what I paid for a 2002 2.0 professionally converted in the UK (2014 import with 25k miles) now appears to be selling privately for between £2-3.5K more than I paid with much higher mileage on some examples.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Brett_Sinclair
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Brett_Sinclair » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks everyone, that's really useful, my search continues... :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”