Vibration/popping whilst driving

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TORPUSCAT
Apprentice Bongonaut

Vibration/popping whilst driving

Post by TORPUSCAT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi all

I'm new to all this as only took over ownership of Beano (2003 V6 Bongo Friendee) in September :D . So far we've done a round trip of 600 miles to Cornwall and back and am having fun!!

I noticed recently after I've been driving for about 6 miles that there is a rubbing/popping noise when I go to slow down which gets louder as the journey progresses. It's probably doing it when I'm speeding along but you just cant hear it!! It doesn't seem to make any difference if I 'feather' the brakes and the mechanic that's serviced Beano for the last 5 years has had his front wheels and checked around there. I think I can feel something under my feet when I'm slowing down and it's happening but not sure if I'm imagining it!

As it only starts to do it after warming up could it be exhaust related. He's just been through an MOT.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vickie - Oxfordshire
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Vibration/popping whilst driving

Post by g8dhe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the group!

Are you able to identify even roughly where the sound is coming from ?
Does it happen only when slowing down on the engine or after you start to apply brakes ?
Another thought is what fuel are you now using, the V6 should ideally be using E5, premium grades, as its not E10 compatible wondering if that is causing engine noises pinking or knocking perhaps as some have reported when trying E10 fuel rather than E5 ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Welcome aboard Vickie.

Good tips from Geoff.
TORPUSCAT
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TORPUSCAT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Cheers chaps for the prompt responses.

It's defo somewhere under my feet. It makes no difference with breaking as I can be coasting towards traffic lights and it still does it. I wondered about the fuel thing as I've been doing half and half but last time had to use E10. Due to fill up so will go with the E5 and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Dont go anywhere I'm sure to have more questions :P

V
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Do let us know either way, if it stops or continues with a change of fuel type.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TORPUSCAT
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TORPUSCAT » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi all

Was hoping it was going to be fuel but still doing it so back to the docs. It was diagnosed as an issue with the NS anti rollbar. Connection/link changed and he's now firing on all cylinders...so to speak.

Thanks for all your advice. I have a couple more questions but I'll post them as a separate thread or see if i can find any suggestions in the existing wealth of info on here, otherwise known as Bongopedia :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”