Water Leak Somewhere

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

levon
Bongonaut

Water Leak Somewhere

Post by levon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi All, Had my 2.5d Bongo for over 9 years mainly trouble free, but now have a water leak (or at least I'm having to top up coolant often).

I've looked for the leak, the garage has looked, having had the Bongo for a week and run it up on the ramps hot, left it overnight indoors on cardboard etc. but we can't find where the water is going.

We've tested the coolant, no exhaust gases and its not pressurising. The water goes when its running, and if left overnight/for a few days. Luckily we've got a Hayden Alarm fitted which has saved us so far. White smoke (which we think is unburnt fuel) comes out the exhaist on start up and may last a while, but then after topping up with 500ml of water and restarting later the exhaust may be fine?

Anyone any advice?

Should I keep running it until the leak manifests itself?
Should I bite the bullet and get a refurbished engine or just a head? If yes, where from? Any recommendations? (I can't seem to find a decent 96 2.5d replacement engine?)
Thanks
Levon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Water Leak Somewhere

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:36 pm

It might just be a pinhole leak that only squirts out pressurised steam when its running, sometimes adding UV dye will let you see where the dye ends up spraying onto or wait till its dark and cooler and then with a pencil beam of light look for a trace of steam jetting out somewhere. Another location is around the water pump seals but normally that ends up as a drip coming out of the telltale holes (2 of them) around the belt drive spindle.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
levon
Bongonaut

Re: Water Leak Somewhere

Post by levon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks, have ordered some UV dye and will try that and looking in the dark.

Return to “Techie Stuff”