Take a chance? Or run a mile?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

polc1410
Apprentice Bongonaut

Take a chance? Or run a mile?

Post by polc1410 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:12 pm

I've been on the lookout for a 4x4 Bongo. Aiming rear kitchen convert, tow bar, roofrack and pullout awning eventually.

One appeared locally. Very locally in fact! I cant decide if that is swaying my decision. I have a fear of buying a van 150 miles away, turning up by train to take it home and finding its a complete banger. This one is cheapish, but has the advantage even if it died on the 1 mile journey home I could free wheel it down hill! (Don't even know if you can free wheel a Auto!)

Mileage is 90k Miles.

Went for a quick look today. Mechanically it looks good. Electrically it looks good. Bodywork and sills have no visible holes, but clearly at some point the van had a love affair with several tins of body filler. All 4 wheel arches look as though they've had work. One of the rear arches doesn't quite meet the bumper (I think from what Ive read that could be it has a Sprinter panel). Its been painted lower half in grey. It has been "hand painted" with a paint brush, Bonnet painted in black I think also by hand.

Rear door has some filler along the bottom seam.

Top is white. There are bits of that paintwork that have been touched up in a white paint that didn't exactly match.

Current owner has had it 15 months. In that time seems to have driven allover Scotland and Lakes without mechanical issues.

I'm not afraid of a technical job. But I have limited facilities. I generally steer clear of brakes because I think they are mission critical. Things like wiper motors etc would be in my skill set. I haven't ever welded. I haven't sprayed since my first fiat panda £300 in 1998 when I patched some rust at the bottom of a door with filler and a rattle can. Was not a great job!

I'd be using it as a weekend camper summer and winters. Not a daily driver. I'd expect to do 5k miles a year.

So:
  • Does a load of filler mean run a mile - or do I just accept that filler doesn't actually rust so half the van wont rust!!
  • Should I be valuing the van at Cost of High Spec Good Converted van and deducting the costs of getting it there?
(i.e. £10k could get me a decent converted van in good condition.
£2.5k for a good aft kitchen conversion with a fridge
£250 for Solar and EHU
£1000 for replacement arched (I see £500 for a price for front or back, so I'm doubling that) Is that too low as it looks like it will take a fair bit of prep work and I'm expecting to pay someone for that as its not my skillset.
£1250 for a full respray
£250 for a back door
----
£5250 + 20% contingency
----
£6k?

Makes the van worth £4k. (Its advertised a little over that but I can possibly negotiate).

In one way the filler and brush stroked paintwork is 'character' (thats how the seller sees it), its a P reg van. Its not pretending to be perfect. Its just wearing its roughness on its sleeve.

Another way for me to think of this would be - if I drive this home and all four when arches fall off on the drive in the first week - whats it then worth - I guess £1.5 - £2k. So I'm risking anything I pay over £2k and deciding what I can afford to lose. It wouldn't be a daily runner so I wont be suddenly stranded without a car. Some of my weekend trips would be to events so not being able to get to them might be an issue - but I suspect thats more likely with a mechanical issue than a rusty panel.

But I could end up buying something further away for maybe more money and it still blowing up on the way home. This seller is using it regularly without concerns which makes me think its now secretly brewing a head failure that they aren't telling me.

Thoughts?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Take a chance? Or run a mile?

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 pm

If it's rusty the decider would be the suspension mountings and the front and rear crossmembers.
These seem to be the scrap it or save it parts, have the metal hoses been swapped as these can add up.
Not many bongos at 10 k are mint esp converted, they are knocking on a bit now
Best to buy a good base van then start from there unless it's the right money.
polc1410
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by polc1410 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 pm

From what I can tell... structurally underneath seems OK. Its had welding done. The MOT history paints a picture.
Doesn't look like there was any welding needed for 2 years. Could be more is due! Could be there is not much left to weld!
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't know what it's like in the UK but if it's anything like Ireland the selection is very small and pretty much every example will have corrosion at this points. They're all old vehicles at this point and will need some love. The other question to ask yourself is...just how perfect does it need to be for 5000 miles a year? And how long are you willing to wait to get one?

Best of luck with the search!

Return to “Techie Stuff”