Zig CF9 Charger Setting

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rie
Bongonaut

Zig CF9 Charger Setting

Post by rie » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello,
I’m after a little help if that’s OK. I have a Bongo with a Zig CF9 unit. I use the van more for general day-to-day use than camping and keep the charger set to towing (unless I am camping) as I want to keep the leisure battery charged. I know when camping the charger needs to be switched down to the onsite setting but should I also be switching it to down (on site mode) when I am not camping and the vehicle is left in park outside the house?

It's not been a problem before but I’ve had problems with the battery draining which I think are due to underuse during lockdown and the period since. Having just had the battery replaced I want to check I’m not doing anything to compromise the new battery. The main switch is always set to off and the unit is set to caravan – it is just the charger switch I keep on when parked.

Hope that makes sense - you've probably gathered I'm not very technical.
Thanks very much,

Marie
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Zig CF9 Charger Setting

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm

If you have a separate Split Charge Relay fitted then you can leave it in the on-site settings all the time, the SCR will operate and charge automatically when the alternator is running. If you don't have an SCR then assuming the controller has been corrcetly installed then you will need to operate the switch to the Charging position otherwise the LB will never be charged.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rie
Bongonaut

Re: Zig CF9 Charger Setting

Post by rie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am

Thank you Geoff, that's really helpful. I believe it does have a separate SCR switch. I have the RAC out again at this very moment as despite the new battery it's not starting. Having a bad run of luck at the minute - exhaust fell off a few weeks ago! Hoping this is not the beginning of the end for my bongo :-(

Return to “Techie Stuff”