Flashing glow plug - need a garage that can read the ODB

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JohnJones
Apprentice Bongonaut

Flashing glow plug - need a garage that can read the ODB

Post by JohnJones » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:29 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a similar post.

Glow plug light has been flashing after the engine warms up. Took the van to Beacon garage in Llandudno who were really helpful but couldn't diagnose the fault as they don't have the right ODB(?) reader for a pre 2001 bongo. I need to find a garage that can do this and ideally do the work as well. I am based on the North Wales coast but happy to travel as far as needed to get this sorted.

I also have the flashing hold light problem so if that can be addressed too then all to the good.

All help appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Flashing glow plug - need a garage that can read the ODB

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:56 pm

Flashing HOLD or flashing GLOWPLUG light means the computers Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Power Control Module (PCM) that make up the Engine Control Unit (ECU) are telling you that there is an error, it can be a simple fault or a complex fault, lots of error codes, you need to use the diagnostic socket to find out what particular error is being reported. See here for the earliest error codes (2-digit), but over the versions several other codes (4-digit codes) and methods have been used, post 2001 there is often a OBDII connector to the left of the steering wheel under the dash as well;
http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm Also if your a member of BF then in the factsheets area is another description of the process covering both 2 and 4 digit codes.

PLEASE NOTE!! When using the older diagnostic connector;
FEN & TEN pins are for MANUAL TRANSMISSION
FAT & TAT pins are for the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

The simplest reason for a Flashing light is if the batteries have been disconnected - the backup supply will have failed and the setup data lost, it will be reset after the next run!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”