New Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Brumbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

New Bongo

Post by Brumbongo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi all, a newbie here. I need your expertise help on the forum. I am about to buy my first Bongo tomorrow from a private owner. A diesel 2.5td 4wd 2000. Really excited however before going ahead I asked for a new MOT to be put on it but it's comeback with loads of advisories, is this normal bongo stuff and easy to fix I'm quite concerned now? It has around 100k on the clock (miles).

Please help, many thanks

Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Offside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Inner sill is corroded to area of 4cm x 6cm offside front to area 2cm x 3cm

Central Rear Oil leak, but not excessive REAR DIFF slight leak (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material ALL brake lines covered in rubber paint signs of corrosion on Ferules at rear (1.1.11 (c))

Central Transmission fluid sump pan corroded

Central Auto trans hoses corroded

Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: New Bongo

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Welcome to the group!

Well its all standard fair for a Jap vehicle 21 years old, however, all those mentions are going to be needed to be dealt with within the year almost certainly! So there is going to be a lot of welding required for starters and once a welder starts looking they may well find more to be dealt with. I should be keeping a significant amount of money back for repairs within the next year - at least £1000 possibly a lot more, also the rear wheel arches are unlikely to be without there problems as well, this will require welding and painting which is probably good for another £2000.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi

Geoff is right, there's a lot of work there, and you wonder why the brake pipes have been coated in muck.

So I guess it depends on the sale price and how much time and money you are willing to spend in the next year. 8)
Brumbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brumbongo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks guys. It's a little over 9k, conversion with AFT.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Just down to factoring in the work which will be required and deciding if the total is what you want to pay. :?

Maybe the garage that did the MoT could give a price for it all?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Those advisories realy dont tell you anything whatsoever other than it has slight corrosion , you would be very hard pushed to find one of these old tubs without slight corrosion. The price is the asking price that looks rather inflated (without seeing the vehicle) probably very negotiable, my advice would be to have the vehicle Inspected by an experienced person, even if it costs a few bob it could save you a lot of grief .x
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:12 pm

That price seems rather steep but I'm a tight arse!
I only paid £3750 for mine and about 2 grand doing it up, the water pipes needed doing but that's minor stuff, back arches have been dealt with using Devcon, paint touch ups are still ongoing but the engine only needed 1 tappit changing, it was noisy! Came complete with a new unfitted exhaust system too!
Realistically, the price with conversion should be more like 7k not 9k.

Return to “Techie Stuff”