Help - Starting issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Batesy86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help - Starting issue

Post by Batesy86 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Evening all,

I recently got the bongo back on the road, and whilst on my way to take the dog out in it, just as I was pulling in to get some fuel she cut out. I thought the gauge must be out slightly and thought nothing more of it.
Filled her up, went to crank, nothing. Tried again, then she nearly sputtered into life but didn’t. Next couple cranks the starter motor started giving it the machine gun effect. I called recovery, and he tried his boost pack, on some turns of the key the starter would do nothing, on others it would half crank like it was powered by a dead battery, even with his power pack.

Eventually I got dropped off home after piggybacking the breakdown truck. Tried it again on the drive and still acting like a flat battery and knackered starter.

Changed the starter, charged the battery and it was still a sluggish half turn of the engine and then nothing. So I bought a new battery thinking I’ve killed that one...fitted it, and ....still the same.

I’ve checked the engine earth strap, the motor is connected and everything seems to be tight & as it should be. I wait for the glow plug light to go off too, but it just doesn’t want to or have enough balls to crank. I’ve even turned the engine by the flywheel just in case it had mysteriously seized but that’s fine.

Am I missing something completely obvious here?

Also, not sure if it’s somehow related, but my central locking didn’t lock all the doors on that day before I headed out either, I had to unlock & lock a couple times before they all locked together, but it never used to do that.

Any pointers are appreciated!
Batesy86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Help - Starting issue

Post by Batesy86 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:40 pm

I’ve checked all relevant fuses and have put the battery on charge.
I can’t think what else it could be. I’ve read through other posts and will be checking in the morning to see if the glow plug rail is earthing out on the injectors somehow causing a greater drain on the battery.

Other than that, I’m stumped 😟
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Have you tested the battery?

Any garage or car shop will have a meter. :wink:

I see you have replaced it, but the new one might be faulty.

Central locking is likely the loom where it passes from the A pillar to the driver's door. Common fault, easily repaired or replacement looms are available. 8)
Batesy86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Batesy86 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Thanks Bob,

I’ve only got a basic fluke, it’s readings 12.5v but I can’t check what it’s like with load.
I’ve stuck it on trickle charge for now and will see if that works, if not, I’ll take it to the local county battery place and ask them to test. It’s just strange how it used to start first turn of the key and now ot won’t even crank, I’m just baffled.

Good to know about the pillar cabling too, I’ll investigate further and replace as it’s blown my window switch fuse a couple times so that now adds up.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:52 pm

Bit of a long shot, I know but worth checking.

My only other thought is are you certain the new starter is good?

The solenoid contacts do fail, repair kits off Flea Bay for £12/13 quid.

I'm sure you'll get there. 8)
Batesy86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Batesy86 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Bench tested the new starter motor, and the solenoid wouldn’t stay held in. Cannot believe it, all that faffing about wondering what it could be and it was the brand new starter motor!

Disappointed to say the least. Now I’ve got the battle of returning it but at least the bongo is back on the road 😊

Thanks for your help Bob, if you didn’t question the new starter I’d probably still be going round in circles!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:23 pm

Glad you're there. :D

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, all really useful for others in the future. 8)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:20 pm

=D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”