Another Temperature guage question.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tsmsoccer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Another Temperature guage question.

Post by Tsmsoccer » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:06 am

The temperature gauge My 2000 model 2 litre petrol bongo would never show the temperature going much past the cold area, occasionally when sitting in traffic on a hot day it would just record going past the first line for warm. I always thought it must not have a thermostat installed. The car never overheated.
Yesterday I took my bongo over to my mechanic. He said it did have a thermostat and it did appear to be working . He said the temperature signal sender did appear past its use by date so he replaced both the thermostat and signal sender.
He let the engine idle for a while and the temperature gauge was at 11,00 o’clock perfect I though.
Started to drive home and the gauge started to go down and after a few kilometers the gauge was back on cold again. Let the car idle at home and the gauge slowly went back to the 11 o’clock position.
I assume this is not normal the mechanic advised that the engine was reaching normal temperature but the gauge goes down when I drive I know it is winter here but would have thought that was the job of the thermostat.
Any ideas would be appreciated
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Another Temperature guage question.

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:19 am

Ah right just replied to the same post on FB;
The electronics around the display cause the needle to stay at the 11:00 position until its well into the HOT temperature range by design - this can cause much confusion see here to alter http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/TempG ... pgauge.pdf
However that doesn't appear to be the problem your suffering, I wonder if the new thermostat was tested before being installed, because it sounds like it was open and allowing an excessive amount of cold coolant into the system!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Another Temperature guage question.

Post by haydn callow » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Sounds pretty normal for a 2ltr….they do run cool…..you can blank off a section of the rad if you want things a bit warmer.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”