Lound Clunk from Gears/rear Driveshaft/Diff when putting into drive from reverse

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nigels-old-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Lound Clunk from Gears/rear Driveshaft/Diff when putting into drive from reverse

Post by Nigels-old-bongo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi Everyone, Long time lurker 1st time poster, you have all been so helpful in helping me diagnose and fix issues on my beloved Bongo, but for once I have come unstuck.

I have a 2.5 Auto TDI 4wd

I have started noticing a Loud Clunk when I switch from Reverse into drive, I only really notice it when parking or pulling out of spaces and I have no issues when I am pottering along. we did have an issue when going between 65 and 70mph but had the wheels balanced and this issue is now fixed.

The clunk is still made even when stationary :shock:

I contacted the Garage and they said that they had not heard of this before but potentially a UJ issue, I am not sure how serious this problem may be and the garage have said that I have to wait until the 23rd before I can get it checked (ADS automotive Bristol they have been great with everything btw) Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Many thanks
oibaf
Bongolier

Re: Lound Clunk from Gears/rear Driveshaft/Diff when putting into drive from reverse

Post by oibaf » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Sounds like this is an issue which would be worth of a search. There might be some old posts floating around if you do so.

I haven't experienced it, thankfully, but, hopefully it's a fairly easy fix for you.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Lound Clunk from Gears/rear Driveshaft/Diff when putting into drive from reverse

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Quite common for the props to fail, joints can fail and the splines can get worn on the front shaft.
Lye underneath with it in park and try to rotate and lift the shafts both back and front, it maybe obvious.
Nigels-old-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nigels-old-bongo » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks for all of your help on this one, I managed to get her to a garage and they said exactly this.

I took the Van to Dr Bongo in Plymouth however they were fully booked and couldn't squeeze me in, but they recommended I take her to Oreston Car Sales also in Plymouth, they had the propshaft replaced within 2 hours and charged me £100, I couldn't believe the value to be honest (all be it a second hand shaft) I would highly recommend them if you are stuck south Devon way and need some help.

Good news is Big Nige is back up and running and I am no longer terrified to pull out of parking spaces.

:D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Great result. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”