Sony XAV-AX1000

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Sony XAV-AX1000

Post by Bongomad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Hello, I’ve just bought my first ever Bongo (which I love) and the first job I want to do is fit a new Sony double DIN unit. The old one is an old Japanese Clarion NX 711. Is this an easy job, I’m guessing I need some sort of converter? There is also a reversing camera with its own screen, I’m hoping I can plug this directly into the new unit as it’s got support for this. I was going to post images but I’m guessing I have to have an image host first.
Many thanks for any help.
oibaf
Bongolier

Re: Sony XAV-AX1000

Post by oibaf » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm

Welcome!

Just on images, I use img.bb and post pictures here from that. Works fine, just copy in the bb code to the post (so it has IMG on each side of the image address) and it'll show up.

As for the double din unit. I'm interested in this myself, looking at a really cheap one at the moment but I only have audio on one side of the van at the moment and I haven't worked that out yet!
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks Oibaf for the info on images. I’ll have a look at that.
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:43 pm

This is the old unit
[img] link removed [img]
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:46 pm

This is the Sony
[img] link removed [img]
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:20 am

Hi Bongomad. Your photos won't show as it says the site your links go to, is suspicious. The site may be ok, but it sill makes it difficult to see your photos. So your links have been edited.

To add a photo, click on 'Attachments' then 'Add files'.
Attachments
Your link
Your link
How to add photos
How to add photos
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:54 am

Never had an issue with imgbb.com myself, I always use it for photos here. I suppose, just make sure you're using the genuine site www.imgbb.com and copy over the right link from your photos. When you want to link to a picture you've uploaded to Imgbb.com, look for "embed codes" on the image on imgbb.com, and then copy the "BBCode full". The link will be a web address ending in .jpg or .png (usually) and bracketed by Image

Admins and mods - I don't know if there's a guide to posting images on here but if you need one I'd be happy to put one together!
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Doone wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:20 am Hi Bongomad. Your photos won't show as it says the site your links go to, is suspicious. The site may be ok, but it sill makes it difficult to see your photos. So your links have been edited.

To add a photo, click on 'Attachments' then 'Add files'.
My apologies, newbie mistake. An update on the post, a nice chap from Plymouth Car Sound has ordered me the cable I need to fit the new Head Unit. I’m confident that I’ll be able to get the reverse cam set up. Luckily there is already a mic installed so I’ll just plug that in for hands free, Siri etc as it has Apple CarPlay. When I come to fit it, I’ll take some Pics of the install. Hopefully it will be of use to someone. Thanks
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm

If the wiring for the reversing camera is already ran then you're over the worst of it.

Some of the newer head units come with WiFi built in so they can connect to reversing cameras wirelessly.

You can get an adapter called carplay2air which works with some units so that you can connect to Android auto wirelessly.
It sounds like a small thing but it can get tiresome having to disconnect from Bluetooth and plug it in every time you want to use google maps
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:32 am

ever after. wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm If the wiring for the reversing camera is already ran then you're over the worst of it.

Some of the newer head units come with WiFi built in so they can connect to reversing cameras wirelessly.

You can get an adapter called carplay2air which works with some units so that you can connect to Android auto wirelessly.
It sounds like a small thing but it can get tiresome having to disconnect from Bluetooth and plug it in every time you want to use google maps
Thanks for the info ever after, I’m hoping with the camera it’s just a case of disconnecting the rca cable from the current screen and plugging into the new unit. How the unit handles it, I’m unsure. I’m guessing it just switches to the cam when in reverse.
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04 am

The Red/Yellow wire in the audio loom is the reverse light wire, that will tell the stereo you are in reverse.

For some reason I can't upload a picture

Error
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 461 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high.

It seems if I rotate the picture in my phone gallery I can 🙄
Attachments
20210716_110656.jpg
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Winnie-bongo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04 am The Red/Yellow wire in the audio loom is the reverse light wire, that will tell the stereo you are in reverse.

For some reason I can't upload a picture

Error
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 461 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high.

It seems if I rotate the picture in my phone gallery I can 🙄
Brilliant thanks. I’m away for weekend so will have a look Monday. There’s a green parking brake cable coming off the new unit. I’ve read about people just grounding this to the unit cage. 🤔
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:00 pm

I just joined the green handbrake wire to the earth wire otherwise I couldn't use sat nav without handbrake on #-o
Attachments
20210703_175421.jpg
Bongomad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongomad » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Winnie-bongo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:00 pm I just joined the green handbrake wire to the earth wire otherwise I couldn't use sat nav without handbrake on #-o
Thanks for the info, the Sony is now installed (major sound improvement BTW). A couple of niggles, the unit doesn’t automatically switch to the reverse cam, you have to press the touchscreen to activate it ( this may be how it’s supposed to be ). The radio is not picking up any channels so I’m guessing the antenna is not part of the wiring loom. Not a major problem because I use Tunein Radio on Apple CarPlay.
Thanks for your help.
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm

There should be a setting for the reversing light sensing, I know on my pioneer I had to switch it on, then next line set it to battery so I would have a look in the settings or the book

Return to “Techie Stuff”