atf roof beeping

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

papillon555
Junior Bongonaut

atf roof beeping

Post by papillon555 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 pm

hi,
Very recently when the roof is fully open, it carries on beeping. I have tried manually pushing it up but it hasn't cured it.
I am hoping someone can tell me where the sensors are that control the beeping.
Many thanks
Kevin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: atf roof beeping

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:21 pm

There on the nearside rail for the sliders on the roof itself, quite hard to reach the rear one, but the most common cause of that problem is tired gas struts, try helping the last few inches by pushing up on the roof (not the skylight) itself often solves the problem on a temp. basis if so replace the gas struts. http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot ... azda/bongo
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
papillon555
Junior Bongonaut

Post by papillon555 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:45 pm

hi,
thank you for the reply.
I have tried pushing it up but that hasn't worked. Would you perhaps have a picture of the location of the rear sensors you mentioned as I cant see any wires etc to that area.
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:42 am

I have various pictures but because I have a wind-out awning attached its difficult to visually place it!
See this link http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/index.php?ind=0 for all things to do with the AFT.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Before trying anything radical, it might be a good idea to do the following few things and see how it goes:

- Clean all of the mechanisms. Get yourself a step ladder, a toothbrush, and some degreaser and clean any old grease or dirt from the mechanisms.

- Clean the switches. If you look up at the AFT when it is open you'll see a 4 (I think) small switches (detailed in Geoff's link), two at the top of the AFT (front of the van) when up, and two at the rear, either side. I might be wrong on the number but get some electrical contact cleaner and give them all a good spray. Work the switches on/off with a flat-screwdriver or something small and ensure they work freely.

- Lightly oil the mechanisms. Now that you have clean mechanisms and switches, you should give them some oil. Too much of the wrong oil will only lead to things sticking to it and, given there are plastic parts in the mechanism, so I use silicone grease spray. Widely available at motor factors, it's plastic and rubber friendly and stuff doesn't stick to it too much.

The other thing is to make sure your battery and alternator are giving as much power as possible to the AFT motor. Make sure your lights are off, maybe increase engine revs a tad when putting the roof up. Ultimately, check your battery voltage and charging voltage (battery should be 12.5v or above at rest, should be around 14v when engine is on and it's charging).

Let us know how it goes, it's great when people come back to give the solution in the end!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:05 pm

There are 4 limit switches;
Down - both sides Front / Top,
Pause Down - nearside halfway along,
Up - Nearside at the rear the slider stops (obviously) just beside the switch so when up its very difficult to reach, best to have sliders several inches from highest position and don't have a Fiamma awning blocking access ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”