Supreme Being

Re: Possible exhaust manifold issue?

Post by teenmal » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am

That stud looks a bit iffy.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 am

Does the gasket look like it's been replaced several months ago to cure a leak in it's near past, check the other bolts for spanner rash
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 am Does the gasket look like it's been replaced several months ago to cure a leak in it's near past, check the other bolts for spanner rash
It's possible but that would've been before I bought it so I really can't tell for sure.

As for spanner rash, there wasn't any apart from what I did myself when checking them with a socket and ratchet. Both number 1 cylinder exhaust manifold bolts did tighten a smidgen when I was trying them, not that that made any difference to the leak.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 am Does the gasket look like it's been replaced several months ago to cure a leak in it's near past, check the other bolts for spanner rash

I doubt very much if you will find Spanner Rash on a nut or bolt,just saying.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:31 am

Managed to source new studs so will be asking for those to be put on. Mechanic has the gaskets needed so just waiting on a free slot that he can do it all for me.

I've been drowning the old studs in penetrant spray to, hopefully, make the job a little easier for him. I've not been driving it because I don't want to snap one of the studs and make it more difficult.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Well, got the van back with the new exhaust manifold fitted and a new gasket. New studs fitted although the original ones came out without too much of a fight according to the mechanic.

Unfortunately, the whooshing sound is still there under load over 2000rpm (if not under load it's fine). Thing is, there doesn't seem to be any loss of power at all. If anything the van felt more spritely but that might have just been in my head.

I'm supposed to be finally taking holidays from work for a couple of weeks and want to get away in the van so probably won't have time to fully sort this beforehand but, given there's no loss of power and given that I drive it very gently, I'm hoping it'll be OK.

Return to “Techie Stuff”