Hold light flashing, rev counter not working.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

trancetrucker
Apprentice Bongonaut

Hold light flashing, rev counter not working.

Post by trancetrucker » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:48 am

Hi.

Recently my 1997 Bongo has been flashing its hold light at me, and the rev counter doesnt work at all. Previously the rev counter has been a bit 'bouncy', but I figured maybe age finally hit it.

I used a jumper cable on the diagnostic port to try getting a stored error code, but the light simply flashes once every 2-3 seconds, best I can tell, this either means 0 or 1 (according to the transmission fault code factsheet I used). That simply tells me 'Engine Speed Unit'.

I have no idea what the engine speed unit is, nor if it is something I can fix (Im capable with electronics, less so with mechanics). Would anyone have a fair idea of what issue I might be facing, or what the next step may be?

The van still drives alright, although occasionally starts a bit rough.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Hold light flashing, rev counter not working.

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:00 am

Probably the alternator nearing the end of it's time on Planet Bongo. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 am

If the rev counter fails then the ECU has a problem working out what gear to select for you! Hence the ECU reports an error.

Likely problems are the sensor that feeds the rev counter, you don't say which engine which determines the sensor and its location.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 am

Good info Geoff. :)
trancetrucker
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by trancetrucker » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am

g8dhe wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 am If the rev counter fails then the ECU has a problem working out what gear to select for you! Hence the ECU reports an error.

Likely problems are the sensor that feeds the rev counter, you don't say which engine which determines the sensor and its location.
Ah I see, how would I determine which engine I have? Cars arent my strong suit.
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Post by notpoodle » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:07 am

depends on which model Bongo you have. 1997 is most likely the 2.5 Turbo Diesel or a 2.5L V6 petrol engine.

My newly acquired Bongo has similar issues. Hold Light flashed a few times, and the rev counter is somewhat erratic. Going to the garage tomorrow, it's on 'the list' (yes, Belinda The Bargain Bongo has a List).
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:09 am

There are three engines used in Bongo's;
2.5 litre Turbo Diesel - 2.5TD
2.5 litre V6 Pterol - V6
2 litre petrol - 2l petrol
If your not sure even now then time to take it to your garage, its unlikely you will have the test equipment and knowledge to fix these things and even some garages have problems reading out the diagnostic port as they have to co-ordinate Eyes and Brain rather than ask a computer (he exaggerates of course ) ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
trancetrucker
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by trancetrucker » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:29 am

g8dhe wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:09 am There are three engines used in Bongo's;
2.5 litre Turbo Diesel - 2.5TD
2.5 litre V6 Pterol - V6
2 litre petrol - 2l petrol
If your not sure even now then time to take it to your garage, its unlikely you will have the test equipment and knowledge to fix these things and even some garages have problems reading out the diagnostic port as they have to co-ordinate Eyes and Brain rather than ask a computer (he exaggerates of course ) ;-)
Oh thats easy then, I have the diesel version. I wasnt really aware that there were different engines for the Bongo :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Remove the crankshaft sensor (one bolt) low down on the front of the engine, don't lose the O ring, there will be a little bit of oil messing up the sensor, wipe it's face and the socket out with a tissue and replace.
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:06 pm Remove the crankshaft sensor (one bolt) low down on the front of the engine, don't lose the O ring, there will be a little bit of oil messing up the sensor, wipe it's face and the socket out with a tissue and replace.
[/quote

I had exactly the same problem, intermittent rev counter not working, hold light flashing and wouldn't engage 5th gear at any speed.

Dirty crank sensor, a clean cured it. (2.5TD)
Rich95
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Rich95 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:18 am

Hi,
Having a similar problem on a 2.0 petrol, is there a similar fix for that engine?
Thanks
Rich
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Post by notpoodle » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Sorry to hijack, but how do I get to the sensor (yes, probably a bit of an idiotic question)? My engine tray at the front already has a chunk missing driver side, hoping to not have to remove it. Where is this sensor in relation to, say, the coolant 'tap' / fan / radiator? How far down along is it? Have looked at the diagram someone posted a while back, but I can't figure it out 'in the flesh'. It's like a very dirty version of Where's Wally down there!

My rev counter is still erratic (had prop shaft and dash clock replaced already), I would like to check out / clean the sensor before taking it back to the garage. It's the 2.5 Td (95)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 pm

I don't normally delve under vehicles but I would expect that you will have to remove the undertray to reach the front of the engine at least! The front of the engine is roughly in line with the drivers feet, you can't access it from the bonnet area.
The parts you describe are all under the bonnet area, the engines in Bongos are placed in the mid point under the drivers and passengers seats.
I can't find any pictures that show the location of the sensor the best you will get is from the Parts diagrams or the engine manuals for the WL-T engine.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 pm

Post the link please Geoff, engine sensors, it shows it's position really clearly.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Its part 20-H10 http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#16
but I thought she had all ready looked at these diagrams ? "Have looked at the diagram someone posted a while back,"
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”