Lights but no action 😔

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MrRobbo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Lights but no action 😔

Post by MrRobbo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi guys. I have a 2000 registered Mazda Bongo 2l 4WD diesel which I have recently purchased. It’s been running fine until today and whilst I have all the ignition lights and buzzing, the engine won’t turn over. Any suggestions/advice please ? Thank you in advance
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Lights but no action 😔

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Right lets be clear is it a 2.5l Turbo Diesel ? Or a 2l Petrol
Only the diesel could be All Wheel Drive, all the petrols are standard 2 wheel rear drive.
When you say a Buzzing is this perhaps a Low Coolant self-test alarm ? Otherwise there shouldn't be any buzzing.
If the Starter motor isn't turning over, it could be due to an Immobiliser or it could be the starter motor contactors that do wear out, or possibly being automatic you need to be in Park otherwise the inhibitor switch on the gearbox will prevent you starting when in gear!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MrRobbo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MrRobbo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yeah I did say it was diesel and your right to point out it’s 2.5. I did get it started after I left it for about 20 minutes but I’m going to get to the bottom of it should that happen again

I take your point about the buzzer thank you. Haven driven HGV in the past I was thinking the buzzer was a warning to wait for heater plugs or something

Am not a mechanic by any stretch but I’d love to try fix things for myself before shelling out £
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 pm

So did the starter motor suddenly start turning over in which case that's often a sign of the contactors, they turn a little bit on each operation and eventually get to a clean section and the motor can start to turn see here on replacing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnySma88gY
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:28 pm

It's not unusual on plant/boats/older HGVs to have a low oil pressure buzzer fitted, which will sound until the engine starts, but I've never heard of one on a Bongo.

Although, of course, someone may have fitted one.
MrRobbo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MrRobbo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Thanks g8 & Bob. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I’ll definitely check out that link g8 and Bob I think previous owners added a few things. I’ve checked all the fluids and they are ok so I’m thinking the buzzer must be for something else

Thank you for you’re help all

Return to “Techie Stuff”