What fuse size is this?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

freakrhw
Apprentice Bongonaut

What fuse size is this?

Post by freakrhw » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi Folks,

I just got my Bongo last week and it had a leisure battery that was working then it stopped. After some troubleshooting, I found that one of the 15A fuses at the relay had blown but there is another fuse from the main battery positive to the relay and it looks like the wire has blown on this one too but I don't know what size it is? Any suggestion or help would be great.

On another note, it looks like the leisure battery is working after replacing the 15A fuse and it seems to be getting a charge from the alternator so I am not sure what this fuse is for?

I have attached a couple of photos so hopefully, they can help.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: What fuse size is this?

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:26 pm

That's meant to be a link fuse like these which have the rating stamped in them;
0-378-80-pack-of-10-strip-link-fuses-80a-2643-p.jpg
Its been replaced with a wire to act as a fuse :-(

The fuse is there to protect the wire itself that is doing the connection to the Split Charge Relay, so you normally set the value as the same for the gauge of wire being used or slightly less. I can't see the gauge of wire but I would be looking to replace it with something around 40 Amps, possibly higher, maybe worth checking to see what fuse is on the Leisure battery connection there is normally an identical fuse protecting the wire from leisure battery to Split Charge Relay.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
freakrhw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by freakrhw » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:38 pm

Thank you for the quick response...

There is indeed a link fuse from the leisure battery it looks like it's 40 amps.

So I would need to replace this broken fuse with another 40 amp fuse then to protect the battery?

This is the fuse from the leisure battery...

Thanks again for the info....I have a feeling I am going to be learning a lot more about engines etc. over the next while :P

Cheers
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Yes that's right, someone blew a fuse - by the way if one fuse blows ALWAYS replace BOTH fuses, they are in series - as the second one will be damaged as well and it will fail at the most inopportune time possible!
Leisure_battery_configuration.png
Might be worth having a few spares https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191988746550
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
freakrhw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by freakrhw » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:05 pm

That's great! Thank you for all the help. I will get some 40 amp fuses and replace both of them today :)

Thanks again for the help, it's great to know there is a good community here when you need them.

Return to “Techie Stuff”