Need some advice

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

oibaf
Bongolier

Need some advice

Post by oibaf » Wed May 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi folks,

It looks like I may be finally getting my hands on a Bongo (2.5 TD). However, before I sign on the dotted line, so to speak, I wanted to ask a few questions.

- The van has just passed through it's CVRT/MOT test with no advisories, all good there.
- A diesel leak I spotted when I checked it over has been sorted with a new gasket on the pump.
- There was a small crack in the engine oil sump, which I had not spotted, this has been welded and the engine oil and filter replaced.

However there are two things which bother me a little.

- The seller says that the front-left driveshaft needs to be replaced, when you drive it you can hear a "ding ding ding" when turning sharp left or right. I've done a search on the forum and have seen others have this issue but it seems to trace back to CV joints and stuff. The seller has said it would be easy to remove the front drive shafts to avoid this. I know this isn't recommended on here.
- The fuel gauge doesn't work, although I know there are sometimes easy fixes for that. Are there cases where the fuel gauge is just broken forever?

Mind if I throw a few pictures here to see if anyone spots anything from the the underneath that I've completely missed?

Image Could there be a slight coolant weep there?

Image Pretty clean. Was definitely undersealed before.

Image Welding done to pass the CVRT/MOT. I'll be prepping and painting this myself.

The inside is nice and tidy, nice rear conversion on it.

So....based on all of that, should I be worried? Is it mad to go and buy this?
oibaf
Bongolier

Re: Need some advice

Post by oibaf » Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am

Anyone at all?

It'd be much appreciated :D .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 28, 2021 11:06 am

You seem to have covered in the original text all the questions you raised ?
As to the overall state of the vehicle, its very difficult trying to judge that from photo's!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Gsmifff
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Gsmifff » Fri May 28, 2021 11:58 am

Looks like there is a slight coolant leak and non standard pipework. Search on here regarding small leaks and peoples experiences. Also discussions regarding jubilee clips versus constant tension clips. Not the most exciting subjects but definitely relevant and very important on a Bongo cooling system. Good luck.
Geoff
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Fri May 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks for the responses folks - it probably wasn't the best structured post of all time :D .

Without stripping it apart completely, which you can't do if you don't own it obviously, it actually looks alright.

The sills will be due replacing in time, the paint is just being maintained there at the moment. There's a handful of small dents or scratches on one side of the van but nothing affecting operation or causing leaks.

The coolant weep is the main thing I would need to sort I think.

I actually did a vehicle check on it and unearthed the old UK registration number on it (P363AHO) so was able to go through some of the MOT history.

The MOT history contains the usual stuff:
- Advisories and fails on corrosion issues, all of which were promptly sorted after any failure.
- Advisories on some small oil leaks (these seem par for the course on diesel Bongos?)
- Advisories, and actually one or two fails, on some strange things like the fog light not working, registration plate light bulbs blown - all fixed after a day or two.

I've looked into our CVRT test over here (this is the MOT for commercial vehicles, of which campers are subject to), taken a look through the testers manual, and it looks like a pretty strict test. Indeed, if a vehicle is involved in an accident which can be traced back to a point of failure not spotted in the CVRT, the test garage and the tester him/herself can be held liable. Learn something new every day eh?! Given that the van flew through it's CVRT the other day I think that's a good sign.
Leahsam1960
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Leahsam1960 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 am

Gsmifff wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:58 am Looks like there is a slight coolant leak and non standard pipework. Search on here regarding small leaks and peoples experiences. Also discussions regarding jubilee clips versus constant tension clips. Not the most exciting subjects but definitely relevant and very important on a Bongo cooling system. Good luck.
Geoff
Hi Geoff I'm new to this site looking for a bongo to buy can you recommend a petrol or a diesel and what's the best engine size for fuel economy. Thank you Pauline

Return to “Techie Stuff”