Leisure battery and ignition switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

steve9617
Junior Bongonaut

Leisure battery and ignition switch

Post by steve9617 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi all

Sorry for the basic post but I couldn't find anything explicitly answering my query.

Should I have power from my leisure battery with the ignition fully off?

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting in terms of when power should be available. If there's a members sheet on this happy to be pointed in that direction.

Thanks Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure battery and ignition switch

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Yes, that is really the idea of the LB, it feeds the services you want when the Ignition switch is off, normally 4 circuits are moved over using a Swap Loom, the Unswitched supplies for internal lights, door locks, radio backup etc, then the two sets of blinds if your powered variety, and then the Ancillaries main radio power, sockets etc.

The LB is charged by the Split Charge Relay that operates when the engine is running to allow the alternator to charge both batteries together, then when the engine is off it isolates the batteries from each other. You may also have a charger in the EHU and maybe Solar panels as well for charging the the LB and in some cases the SB as well.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
steve9617
Junior Bongonaut

Post by steve9617 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks Geoff that's really helpful advice.

I'm replacing the LB so not sure what to expect when the new one is installed.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 13, 2021 3:17 pm

In that case, make a point of checking the two charging fuses, one close to each battery that feed towards the Split Charge Relay. If you have had a duff/flat battery its possible that one fuse has blown if so replace BOTH fuses as the other one will be damaged as well!
Leisure_battery_configuration.png
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Powellct
Bongonaut

Post by Powellct » Fri May 14, 2021 12:36 pm

Great graphic, Geoff. Is it an issue if my blinds are still on aux (other than it's a pain in the ar$e)?

Additionally I had to have an emergency battery change (see FB page) on our first time away - while the battery was off I noted some circuits specific to the SB (I assume, anyway) we're still powered - certainly the immobiliser warning light was still flashing, and the from interior lights still worked. Is it commons to have a cross feed to the SB circuits, or should the split charge relay isolate it? Sounds more complex than it is, I think, but while I'm not new to electrics, I am new to split charge.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Its often the problem that conversions are unique to each van!
There have been several kits for Swap Looms which include all you need for the 4 circuits that make sense to switch over, however it is also common to see DiY swap looms (there not difficult to put together at all) at which point there are some real oddities. Its this reason I loath doing work on peoples van's at meets as something simple suddenly turns into a nightmare when a non-standard approach has been used as then its essential to follow back each wire to make certain that any changes don't impact in a bad way :-(
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”