Cigarette sockets dead

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Iceicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cigarette sockets dead

Post by Iceicebongo » Sun May 02, 2021 10:27 pm

Hello all. I'm working hard at getting my battered bongo back to its former glory and all is going well except my cigarette lighters. Both front and rear are dead. No voltage to the terminals behind the actual socket itself. I've a changeover loom fitted and the fuses in the new box are fine. Radio works. This leads me to the conclusion that there's a break somewhere in the "main" loom itself between the original fuse box and wherever the front and rear feeds separate. Is this the correct conclusion please and if so are we in agreement that it would be a pig to try and find so I may as well just run in new wiring since the original is poor anyway? I've plenty of spare fuse ways. Cheers!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Cigarette sockets dead

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm

The sockets themselves have built in fusible links on the terminals themselves
So check to see if you have power to the connector, if you do then its likely the link that's blown,
if no power on the connector then its further back up the wiring there is a problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Iceicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Iceicebongo » Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi Geoff

That's what I was trying to get at, apologies if I was unclear. No power at the connector both front and rear. That suggests to me the problem must be in the dirty great inaccessible loom behind the steering wheel area which would be a real pain to try and find? Hence thinking I may as well just run in a new wire but wanted to check there wasn't anything obvious to check first. Thanks.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am

Do you have a Radio which is still actually working ? That gets its main power from the Ancillaries circuit as well as the sockets, so if that's still working then that would suggest it is a break in the loom but only to the sockets, and that power to the the rest is OK, if it doesn't work then that would suggest looking at the feed from the LB fuse to the original fuse socket perhaps.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Iceicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Iceicebongo » Wed May 05, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi again. Yes the radio works fine.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am

In that case power from the LB must be reaching the internal fuse box on the correct position, so it would suggest that the wiring or connectors are faulty.
This all assumes of course that the normal Swap Loom has been used and that the normal wiring hasn't been altered!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”