Split charge relay

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

extrahammy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Split charge relay

Post by extrahammy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 pm

I currently have a RL180-12 100amp relay that I believe has stopped working due to it being parked up with a solar panel attached (or its just old)
my question is could i replace it with a RL180-12 120amp relay as I can get one of them delivered tomorrow or will this make more problems for me?
extrahammy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Split charge relay

Post by extrahammy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Also am i correct in saying it should be fine with the relay higher as long as I don't change the breakers and fuses for higher ones?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:42 pm

The presence or not of a Solar panel/charger shouldn't make any difference.
If the relay has failed then replacing it should be fine, however its not that common for a relay to fail, are you certain that it is a fault in the relay and not with the circuit switching the power to its coil ?
Fuse size relates to the wiring used not the devices on the ends of the wires.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello extrahammy
Geoff is the main guru on electrics, but I had a similar problem with my split charge relay, for months I had my 40w solar panel charging the leisure battery, but during the cold spell relocated it to the starter battery with the view that it would trigger the relay and charge the leisure when full.
A recent trip out demonstrated the split charge relay was no longer working, once home ordered a new one of same sort, replaced old and pleased to say problem fixed.
Whether it was the solar panel causing the relay to trigger sporadic ally due to its generated wattage fluctuations I don't know, but I can say it was fine whilst the solar was directly attached to the leisure battery.

Return to “Techie Stuff”