JAL Mushroom Roof Clips

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

fatdaz
Apprentice Bongonaut

JAL Mushroom Roof Clips

Post by fatdaz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi All

We have a JAL conversion with their "mushroom" roof and one of the 2 clips which secures the roof when it's down has seized and won't clip shut. I reckon I can probably fix it if I can take it off the roof. It's secured with ordinary hex bolts but does anyone know what it bolts into? If I undo the hex bolts will something drop off the back into the roof lining or does it bolt into something solid?

Cheers
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: JAL Mushroom Roof Clips

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi. :)

I'm not familiar with these roof clips, but you could cut the heads off some bolts of the same size, say an inch or so long, then replace a couple of the existing ones with these and remove the rest.

Hold in place as you gently lift the clip away, then hold the long bolts in place with a couple of clothes pegs before finally taking off said clip.

Fingers crossed they will keep any backing plate in place. :wink:
davben23
Bongonaut

Post by davben23 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi
Are you sure it's siezed mine used to do similar but it was just the hinge need a small nudge to clip shut. Is it the one above the passenger side ?
fatdaz
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by fatdaz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm

It’s definitely seized. I’ve oiled it, tapped it and tried to coerce it with no joy. I got a response from JAL who’ve confirmed that I can unbolt it without dislodging anything and have pointed me at where I can buy replacements if needs be. I’ll take it off tomorrow and see if I can free it up

Thanks for the replies
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Sound.

Phil is pretty good. 🙂

Return to “Techie Stuff”