Intermittant Oil Light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dangermike
Bongonaut

Intermittant Oil Light

Post by Dangermike » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am

Good Morning all

So for the last month or so i have been having an intermittant oil light, normally comes on a few minutes into the drive and then will turn off again after a while, sometimes may come on again, Sometime wont come on at all.

Tackled the first task of replacing the pressure switch yesterday, unfortunately this do not seem to fix it, (also cleaned the connector while i was there)

While i had the switch out i tested the oil pressure, started off at low revs just over 60PSI then went up to about 85PSI on high revs,

Trying to think of the next steps i can do at home before taking to Garage, i am fairly competent at doing most jobs, i mean i have replaced valves and head gaskets in passed, as well as the OIl sump on my Landy.

Just never had a fault like this before,

Any ideas on next steps?
willow2u
Bongolier

Re: Intermittant Oil Light

Post by willow2u » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Did you test it with old style capillary oil pressure gauge
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Your aware that the light is driven both by the Pressure and the Level switches ?
Oil_Level&Pressure_switches.jpg
Might be worth checking both of them the other possibility is an earth on the signal wire back to the dashboard ofcourse.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dangermike
Bongonaut

Post by Dangermike » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi,

Yes was aware there was the level switch in line as well. was not sure if there is away to test it other than replace it.?

With the signal wire i take it i can disconnect from pressure switch and drive with a DVM testing continutity against ground. to see if it grounds out ?
then can replace cable, or try find the break.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Indeed, the light coming on itself with both sensors disconnected would prove that alone. Use a meter to monitor one of the sensor switches to see if it closes once your running then it would point out which sensor is operating or if there is a fault on the wire.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Dangermike
Bongonaut

Post by Dangermike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks!

So update!

I unplugged both sensors and the Oil light didn’t even come up with the Test at the start,

I plugged in the pressure sensor again and the oil light did the test at start up.

I left the level switch unplugged, and drove it around. And the light did not come back on!
So am I right in thinking that the switch if oil is low would then connect the cable to ground causing the light to come on?
So if it’s not on now it’s likely to be the level switch?

The connector is actually full of oil, seems there is a leak above it some where so maybe the oil in the connector can cause fault grounding?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:14 pm

Yes the level switch should make when the oil level falls to low .... you have checked the oil level ..... ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Dangermike
Bongonaut

Post by Dangermike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 pm

Perfect thanks, so good news for me!
Yes first thing I did, was over half way between min and max,

Will clean up all the oiled up connectors tomorrow, and recheck and hoping for smooth sailing!
Also will look as to where that oil is leaking from!

Return to “Techie Stuff”