new member with questions

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: new member with questions

Post by haydn callow » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 am

Are you aware that the dashboard glow plug light is not in anyway telling you what the glow plugs are doing. The glow plugs cycle on/off/on/off many times and are revs/temperature dependant. They can do this many times before switching off and this will be about when the temp gauge starts to move. So! Could there be a link between your plugs switching off and the misfire/blue smoke. I put a illuminated switch in my glow plug relay circuit so I could see exactly what was going on and I could switch off the plugs when running smooth and extend plug lift.
Just thoughts.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
and
Bongonaut

Post by and » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:59 am

Hi now that is a good thought i will try that did you put in line i have done a couple of shoguns basiclly by passing the relay you just had to remember to switch them off cheers
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:47 pm

If I remember right I just put it inline....if you search it’s on here so where many years ago....good luck
Also BMW Clocks
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:41 pm

Would the glow plugs still be a factor after the engine running for 10 minutes
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:05 pm

If the temp was low and the revs yes they could still be cycling on/off, you say your temp gauge is just short of half way when warm (11 o,clock) that is normal, if it ever goes to 12 o,clock you are about to overheat. It can take ages for the thermostat to open when the weather is cold. When bleeding it can be 50 mins for the bottom hose to go warm (stat opening) this stage must be reached when bleeding or it’s all been a waste of time.....a Bongo in good condition actually runs quite cool.
Also BMW Clocks
and
Bongonaut

Post by and » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:18 am

I bled the system i must say these must be the only cars that are only bled properly when the bottom hose gets hot in my 50 odd years as a mechanic the bottom hose is or should be cooler than the top.
But i am going to check the glow plug operation asap .
As when it starts to play up after about 10 mins if i switch of then restart straight away it runs perfect so could be a glow plug not recycling
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:02 am

The bottom hose is cooler than the top hose...it’s just that you want it to go warm to prove the stat has opened, this often releases a load of air stored in the bottom hose and if this is not expelled via the bleed hose it gets stuck in the head and causes overheating
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 am

and wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:18 am I bled the system i must say these must be the only cars that are only bled properly when the bottom hose gets hot in my 50 odd years as a mechanic the bottom hose is or should be cooler than the top.
But i am going to check the glow plug operation asap .
As when it starts to play up after about 10 mins if i switch of then restart straight away it runs perfect so could be a glow plug not recycling

The reason the thermostat takes so long to fully open is, its on the inlet side of the the flow, hence the thermostat is getting hit with cooled coolant and constantly opening and closing. The air is normally trapped in the upper part of the engine (cylinder head) this can be removed by way of the Temp sender on the top of the head.
and
Bongonaut

Post by and » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:12 am

Well took for road test up some steep hills smoked after about 1 mile but cleared after about 2 when engine got to full temp i must admit it was a lot faster than i expected my mrs in her saab 2.2 turbo had to push it a bit to keep up even on the hills and acceleration so not to bad thanks guys
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 pm

👍
and
Bongonaut

Post by and » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:19 am

Well guys i have decided to sell the bongo :( its a shame but i can only thank you all for your help =D> =D> =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:14 am

Sorry to hear that. :(

Don't forget you're still welcome here any time, and at Meets. 8)
and
Bongonaut

Post by and » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:23 am

Hi bongo has gone man very happy with it thanks again to you all =D> =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”