Strange coolant leak issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

imwavygravy
Junior Bongonaut

Strange coolant leak issue

Post by imwavygravy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 pm

To begin with....apologies for another post on the coolant system. I think I've read all of them and can't find one with this particular issue.

Two years ago, I had the head and head gasket replaced, so I am hesitant to go to that solution right away as it cost me 2k. Plus last time it was the head, there was white smoke billowing out of the exhaust, and this time there isn't. It starts and drives like new.

I have a 1995 2.5td.

Coolant is rising up in the expansion tank as soon as the van starts to warm up. It seems to be boiling the coolant.

There does seem to be strange white and red dried liquid all round the top of the radiator. But the radiator was replaced in 2018.

What I'm thinking is .... replacing the water pump, the thermostat and the radiator before I think about the head.

Is this a good idea? Any thoughts? Is it strange that there isn't any white smoke or steam coming from the exhaust.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Strange coolant leak issue

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 am

As the coolant heats up it does expand, this it what pressurises the system. Provided the coolant doesn't boil over and eject from the tank then its working as intended. The other possibility is that combustion gases are getting into the coolant and causing the coolant to be pushed up but this normally then causes ejection from the tank as well, if that happens then the gases should also cause the coolant to absorb the combustion gasaes and this can be tested for with kits from eBay (or your garage) https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:29 pm

Any good garage can do a pressure test on the coolant system, the bongo runs at just below 1 bar in normal use, if there is a Leak the coolant level rises.get the expansion cap tested too as it's the blow off valve that controls the pressure the system will hold.
Start basic before ripping off and replacing, does the system hold 1 bar of pressure.?.
imwavygravy
Junior Bongonaut

Post by imwavygravy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:35 am

Good morning. Thank you for your replies. I will get a combustion test and take it from there.
I've got a decision to make if its the head again. I have too many memories wrapped up in the van to let him go.
I do live in it full time, so spending 1700 every two years to keep him alive, isn't a bad cost is it?
Thanks again.
I shall report back.
coryjoon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by coryjoon » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:18 am

It's a good idea to start with replacing the water pump, thermostat, and checking the radiator. The absence of white smoke or steam from the exhaust might indicate a different issue. Consider performing a pressure test on the cooling system to identify potential leaks. Also, if you need a Blow Off Valve, consider checking out this product: https://www.ngrperformance.com/products/tsbov-pu from the mentioned store; it's a quality product.

Return to “Techie Stuff”