Glow Plugs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Glow Plugs

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm

I can see that the glow plugs has been covered many times & there is a lot of info including a fact sheet, however...

Checking the fact sheet & my VIN number it recommended that I needed the short glow plugs for my 98’ Bongo so I ordered a set of NGK 5116 Y-701J
These were the short (83mm) plugs needed going by the factsheet.

When I removed my old plugs they were the long (103mm)
My current plugs have been in for around 3-years & still going strong (reading around 1.1 - 1.6 Ohms) I just wanted to change them as it’s been nearly 3-years & carrying out a full service.

The plugs removed are;
ND 067100-1850
142000-1850

I would buy these again no problem given that they haven’t failed in the 3-years after hearing some have had to change annually, but can’t seem to find them anywhere?

I have read that the BluePrint ADK81801 plugs do not seem to last, & haven’t heard much about the NipParts J5718000.

I have contacted NGK as would rather pay more & fit a quality (known brand) plug but they do not make a plug for the long (103mm) Bongo’s only the short ones mentioned above.

I have contacted MazdaBongo who can supply Techno plugs (which he said come with 12-month warranty & have never had any complaints) at a reasonable price but never heard of this make & after a google search there is very little info so asked if there was any other makes.

He managed to source a set of HKT plugs from Japan which would certainly be more suitable & hopefully longer lasting being Japan for a Jap motor, but again not much info found on these either & the delivery time could be an issue as I have my old plugs out ready for the new ones, So...

Thought I would ask everyone & see what others have fitted/recommend & if theirs any known brand that can be sourced for the long (103mm) Bongo’s?

Due to not being able to find any known brands I have thought about fitting the shorter (83mm) NGK Y-701J plugs but rather than modifying the fuel rail (bending it out of the way) I was thinking of using wither M4 20-25mm Standoffs (screwed onto the glow plugs) to extend the height for the bus bar or making up insulated link wires with ring terminals to connect to all the plugs, has anyone tried any of the above & had any success or issues?

By doing this would surely make things easier for future also as NGK is a top brand & very easy to get a hold of.

Any advice/info appreciated
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Glow Plugs

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Here is a pic of a standoff & something similar for the link wires to give you an idea...
Attachments
91E90021-9656-430C-AF03-459A16F8D1B9.jpeg
85DCE8DF-4EB3-4CEF-A5D5-F2FA8A7308E8.jpeg
85DCE8DF-4EB3-4CEF-A5D5-F2FA8A7308E8.jpeg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Still trolling the net for glow plugs🙈

Just found the NGK’s 5116 Y-701J from a site called the Green Spark Plug Company for £32 for a set of 4, think I paid £50-60 for a set from EuroCarPart... might be useful to others who have the shorter plugs so thought I would share.
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:54 pm

You appear to have done a lot of searching for glowplugs, did you check out the shop on this site (Shop Bongo tab at the top of this page)? Some NGK glow plugs are shown but I don't know if Ian only sells NGK or other brands as well. Whatever he sells I would assume that they would be good quality plugs. £67.00 for a set of four, either length, but remember you get free postage and 12.5% discount if you are a member of Bongo Fury.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:45 am

Hi Tessie,

I did look on the shop here after finding out the shorter NGK plugs were no good but it just stated Aftermarket OEM Quality (No make/spec etc) so just assumed it would likely be the BluPrint plugs.

NGK only do the shorter plugs unfortunately, the business end inside the head, thread, voltage is all the same just the overall length (top part of the glow plug) so ordered some m4 Standoffs & going to give that a try with the NGK’s, hopefully if it works it will make things easier for future changes & the NGK’s are good quality & easy to get a hold of.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 am

It will work fine as long as they are tightened well.
I did similar with mine and it lasted years without any issues, I chopped the thread off a set of old spark plugs and screwed the metal cap off the top onto the top of the new glowplugs then screw the short length of thread into the top then rail and glowplug nut.
Make sure it's all tightened up, sorted.
Some computers have suitable stand off legs fitted to components inside, some have used these.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Kirsty1330 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm I can see that the glow plugs has been covered many times & there is a lot of info including a fact sheet, however...

Checking the fact sheet & my VIN number it recommended that I needed the short glow plugs for my 98’ Bongo so I ordered a set of NGK 5116 Y-701J
These were the short (83mm) plugs needed going by the factsheet.

When I removed my old plugs they were the long (103mm)
My current plugs have been in for around 3-years & still going strong (reading around 1.1 - 1.6 Ohms) I just wanted to change them as it’s been nearly 3-years & carrying out a full service.

The plugs removed are;
ND 067100-1850
142000-1850

I would buy these again no problem given that they haven’t failed in the 3-years after hearing some have had to change annually, but can’t seem to find them anywhere?

I have read that the BluePrint ADK81801 plugs do not seem to last, & haven’t heard much about the NipParts J5718000.

I have contacted NGK as would rather pay more & fit a quality (known brand) plug but they do not make a plug for the long (103mm) Bongo’s only the short ones mentioned above.

I have contacted MazdaBongo who can supply Techno plugs (which he said come with 12-month warranty & have never had any complaints) at a reasonable price but never heard of this make & after a google search there is very little info so asked if there was any other makes.

He managed to source a set of HKT plugs from Japan which would certainly be more suitable & hopefully longer lasting being Japan for a Jap motor, but again not much info found on these either & the delivery time could be an issue as I have my old plugs out ready for the new ones, So...

Thought I would ask everyone & see what others have fitted/recommend & if theirs any known brand that can be sourced for the long (103mm) Bongo’s?

Due to not being able to find any known brands I have thought about fitting the shorter (83mm) NGK Y-701J plugs but rather than modifying the fuel rail (bending it out of the way) I was thinking of using wither M4 20-25mm Standoffs (screwed onto the glow plugs) to extend the height for the bus bar or making up insulated link wires with ring terminals to connect to all the plugs, has anyone tried any of the above & had any success or issues?

By doing this would surely make things easier for future also as NGK is a top brand & very easy to get a hold of.

Any advice/info appreciated

Blueprint have a Three year Guarantee on their products.
kandabongogirl
Bongonaut

Post by kandabongogirl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Kirsty1330 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 pm Still trolling the net for glow plugs🙈

Just found the NGK’s 5116 Y-701J from a site called the Green Spark Plug Company for £32 for a set of 4, think I paid £50-60 for a set from EuroCarPart... might be useful to others who have the shorter plugs so thought I would share.
Yes indeed, Green Spark Plug are price competitive for these, bought my last ones from there.
23 year old salt and pepper AFT who loves a twerk to a kandabongoman tune.

Return to “Techie Stuff”