Advice re solar panel charging over winter

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Roy748
Bongolier

Advice re solar panel charging over winter

Post by Roy748 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Hello all
I am just seeking some advice re my solar panel set up. On the side of my house above the car port I have a 40w solar panel charging the leisure battery on my bongo, this has been great during the summer months as the van was used most weekends so the starter battery was charged via the alternator.
My question is this, would it now be advisable to swap the solar panel over to charge the starter battery, as the van is now off the road for the winter, I have a split charge relay on the van, and would it not then divert the excess charge into the leisure battery such as the alternator does as the starter battery reaches max.
I do intend to start the van periodically but use is going to be very limited during winter.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Advice re solar panel charging over winter

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Just a personal view, but I really think it's worth taking any vehicle for a minimum 30 min run once a week.

To save me re-typing scroll to the bottom of this recent thread for my thoughts:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=76755

Obviously good to avoid roads just salted, but I do think it pays dividends. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:01 pm

As Bob says its just as important to run the vehicle to ensure the oil and coolants get distributed. Many solar charges will only float charge a battery at 13.6-13.8 volts and often will not necessarily trip a voltage sensitive relay or it may not use a VSR but use the IG2 circuit from the ignition to operate the split charge relay instead. You can get dual output controllers that will charge both batteries if necessary.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi guys
Thanks for your thoughts and info. I have sorn the van for the winter as have 2 other vehicles as paying enough in tax with those. Will still start the van but driving for 30 mins is not possible
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm

Swapping solar over from LB to SB over winter is precisely what i used to do
There are a number of residual drains
from an old post
Winter (car not being used) primary use of solar charger could be to charge the SB. swap feeds over. If done with a switch OK, if done manually be very careful to reconnect correctly or you may end up with no charging of LB and Nakering the LB. IF done correctly the solar charges the SB and a Voltage controlled split charger will maintain the LB in winter.
Questions have you got
a VSR
MPPT controller
Only 40W solar if so a dual charger is a waste of spons
Having decided it is sorned off the road, here are my thoughts (as applied to my current Ducato based MH)
Change oil before laying up for long period (3 months).
pump tyres to 10psi overpressure (reduce back to norm when used)
cover tyres with wheel covers to reduce UV damage
chock wheel handbrake off
Monthly charge Both batteries.

Fiats advice on Euro6 motors is an oil change every 28000miles 2years or every 3 months if not run. 12 month change if less than 8000pa.
Its better to not run at all with clean oil in engine (dispersed) than it is to not run upto working temperature, all a quick start does is produces nasties (acids, water) that sit in the engine doing their worst.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Hello the1andonly
That's some great advice thank you.
I have the MPPT/PSM controller, the vehicle is parked with the handbrake off under a car port, completely protected from direct sun light. I have just carried out a service, but heeding your advice I will inflate the tyres by an additional 10psi.

Return to “Techie Stuff”