Central locking fault help please

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tombo
Bongonaut

Central locking fault help please

Post by Tombo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Hello,
This is my first post, thanks for having me! I bought my bongo last week with a central locking fault.
The fob unlocks alll the doors but has only locked them twice of all the times I've tried. Occasionally it won't unlock but if I press lock it will then unlock.
When I press lock I hear a clicking noise but no locking action. The key works to unlock and lock all doors.

I've read about the loom failing and how to fix and also about the central locking module.

Can anyone confirm from the symptoms what the problem is likely to be before I start investigating?
Also do you know where I can find wiring diagrams to help locate the correct wire?

Thanks very much
Tombo
2000, 2.5 Diesel, 4wd, AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Central locking fault help please

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 am

If it works intermittently then the most likely cause is the drivers door wiring loom.
Rather than repair one wire that has broken, its much more sensible to replace that entire section of loom as the other wires will be breaking soon! The problem is the flexing causes work hardening and the wires will eventually break one after the other.
The wiring diagrams are on-line here http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm it requires Flash to be installed and enabled on the site, however be aware that Flash is being killed and unlikely to be available much beyond the end of this year.
There is a repair kit available on eBay see here https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bespokeautoe ... ervices_uk
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 am

I agree with Geoff that it's probably the wiring loom. But before you go down that potentially expensive route, and assuming it is a Mazda remote-locking fob, see if the fob needs re-programming.

1. All doors including tailgate closed, but unlocked.
2. Open drivers door, leave it open.
3. Put key in ignition, and turn it between ON and LOCK 3 times.
4. Remove key from ignition.
5. Press the drivers door switch 3 times (the switch that operates the courtesy light).
6. The doors should lock and unlock.
7. Press any button on the remote twice.
8. The doors should lock then unlock again.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks for your detailed replies! Those repair kits look good, I'll have a look at the loom for damage.
I think my fob looks like a replacement, theres no mazda logo but I'll give the reprogramming a try - should it still work? Can you explain a bit more what the driver door switch is (am I being daft?)?

Thank you!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Its the switch on the lower left corner of the drivers door, its pressed as the door shuts to turn off the cabin light etc.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:17 pm

Great, thanks!
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi again, I've had a look at the wiring and there's no obvious damage. Also tried to reprogram the fob but no luck there - I'll try to find out what fob it is!

I noticed that the drivers door manual lock button wiggles up and down when I press lock on the fob like it's trying to go down. If I press lock again I just get three clicks like it thinks its locked. Does this help with diagnostic?

Thanks
Tombo
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:11 pm

Ah, that sounds like the solenoid or its mechanical link to the door lock has a problem, the central locking is in fact driven from a switch on the door lock, so if that's not operating correctly that might explain the central locking not working.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 pm

OK thanks I'll look into replacing the solenoid. I see them on bongo spares quite cheap. Fingers crossed!

Return to “Techie Stuff”